• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing experience??

JeepXJ93

NAXJA Forum User
Now that i have a hitch on my xj i'm looking to get a little 4x8' trailer for my landscaping projects that i have. I also am looking to plow driveways in the winter again and using my tractor...i have a snowblower attached to the front of it weighing in around 700lbs. Probably w/ the trailer around 900-1000 lbs is what i'd be towing...my question is...i have quite a few houses in shelton ct here that i plow and some of the houses are up in the white hills area (meaning i have to go up descent sized hills) and i was wondering if anyone has ever towed a trailer w/ that wieght up a hill while having a few inches of snow on it? Can the xj handle it? Its a 2000 classic w/ command-trac.

I'm just over the hill from you. Yeah, the XJ can handle it. Think about a bigger trailer, though. I have a 4' x 8' utility trailer and my riding tractor just BARELY fits on it. Get one of the smaller lawn service type trailers they sell at Lowe's and Home Depot.

As for towing uphill on snow, the worst that might happen is you might have to uase 4WD. Hey ... that's what it's for. :)

I have a 3/4 ton GTW (gross trailer wieght/actually 750 KG) rated trailer (for the XJ). The same trailer with brakes (tongue activated brakes) has twice the rating. For towing with my XJ. Thinking of coming down a hill, with packed snow or ice, with my trailer loaded, makes my sphincter tighten. With trailer brakes I might be a little more comfortable, with trailer brakes and chains, I´d probably be OK. Got to think about the insurance also, if you do kiss a parked car. Most insurance companies, will wiggle, given the chance. A police report with trailer and snow in it, is gonna give them wiggle room.
I keep a set of 225 R 15´s with the chains installed and then the tire fully inflated (nice and tight), handy for icy roads. Found it´s easier and quicker to keep a small floor jack handy, with the tires and chains. Easier than putting the chains on.
I haul a good bit of fire wood in the winter, I get away with mild hills, with chains, but driving pretty much dead slow, with a mild mud tire. On ice I wouldn´t even attemp it.

Wow eagle....what kind of tractor do you have? I have a 15hp that i assumed would fit fine on a 4x8...maybe when they say 4x8 they mean actual width and length instead of deck area? Thanks for the info.

Mine is an older Wheelhorse 16 HP. The trailer is a kit trailer with a 4' x 8' deck, and the wood side panels reduce the width by 1-1/2". Aside from the tight fit, the frame isn't very rigid, and I can feel and see it flex when loading and unloading. Just doesn't inspire confidence.

As to the towing, however, keep in mind that a lawn tractor weighs the same as or less than a snowmobile, and there are a gazillion double snowmobile trailers running around New England with no chains and no trailer brakes. Personally, I would NOT want brakes on a light duty trailer under slippery conditions ... I'd prefer to have the trailer track straight. I don't think you'll have any problem towing, but measure the length and width of your tractor (with blade attached) and be sure it will fit on whatever trailer you select.

I guess we are all a product of our experiences, a lot has to do with how much experience you have with your trailer, a half ton load and snow. And some luck, only takes once. I come down some icy hills, that are hairy without the trailer. I´m usually up and around, before the road crews, driving virgin snow and unsalted streets.
Ever since I watched four guys (driver and three passengers) and a motorcycle trailer do a triple barrel roll. Because some no mind pulled out in front of them, I´ve gained a great deal of respect (much more than I used to have), about what can go wrong, in a hurry. My chicken factor went up a few notches.
I haul some farm machinery, I´ve got an extra set of ramps I lay on the floor, to spread out the load some, when necessary.
Got to say, Germans don´t do everything well, but trailers is one they do better than most. The tongue actuated brakes, they use, will keep your trailer straight in most quick/panic stop situations. System works well.

Yea we have a wheelhorse too...bought a big snow thrower to hook to the front of it so i want to put it to use and start doin driveways this season. Thanks for all the info...i hear northern ct is supposed to get some wet snow, wont be long before it should be down in our area eagle!...let the fun begin!!!

Back