• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best unibody beef up

smallxj

NAXJA Forum User
ok So i have a cage i am working on it should be in within a month or two. I was wondering what else i should do to beef up the uinibody? i have quiet abit of body damage already seeing how all the trails in the north west are pretty tight. I have to creases in my hedliner right on the side where the rain gutter is so im thing that its going to get worce. i dpont really have much of a rain gutter anymore. Its kinda hard to explain but i was just wondering what the best way to beef it all up is

my cage is pleanty of triangluation its just not in yet you could check it out on www.ramseyoffroad.com the cherokee with no top is it i bought it from that guy u used in calrocs and super crawl he is in the movie SLow and The Stupid in it its pleaty tested

BrettM said:
plate the frame-rails as many have done from front to back, run a good cage that also goes through the fire-wall and attaches up front. that will be the most structure you can practically add.

Anybody have pictures or more details of how or where they put it through the firewall and where all they attached it on the front?

Im looking into doing this soon as im going 8lug FW and figured the massive extra weight would really justify some unibody beef. So what size plate are you all using? 1/4? 3/8? im not really worried about the extra weight, but i am worried that overkill on the plate might cause premature stress on the parts of the unibody rails NOT sleeved. i was going to radius the edges and all, but i thought if it was TOO stiff, it might further aggravate the cracking.
Right now, ive got c4x4 rockers, some SB braces, and good bumpers f+r...i was thinking about maybe just ponying up for a set of those DetoursUSA frame stiffeners, since im not too handy with a welder, but i really think id rather build my own, right? How are you attaching them to the sheetmetal, stitch and plug welds? I remember a while ago theOwl got flamed for his bad welds and his idea of through-bolting the c-channel. is that a bad practice? A typical 220 mig is up to the job, right?
I also want to throw in a cage, and since i dont have a bender, i was looking at D&C's new cage. for 350 or so, it seems nice and stout. plus its a great way to tie it all together. cheaper than buying a bender and making my own as well...
FWIW, ive searched plenty, but this seemed like a good thread to hijack...thanks for any help.
-Bennett

the best uni-body reinforcement i've seen is CRASH's setup. He plated the frame rails (3/16?), tied those into rockrails which weld to the body, and the cage is tied into all that. the only thing I can think of improving upon would be to go through the fire-wall with the cage. do a little searching for his cage, and also the other one's he built for Jes, SeanP and GaryE.

I bet if you do a bit of searching, you will be able to find some good information and pictures. This has been repeatedly discussed here.

-JonK

heres his jeep. its still alittle straight mike.
MIKEYSJEEP.jpg

I have creases to so I picked up a ten foot section of 3x3x3/16 angle and I'm going to sleave the rails front to back and build rockers off of them. Where are you guys at in WA?

Back