• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine cutout when fuel is low - 99 XJ

CherokeeGold

NAXJA Forum User
Here's one you may or may not have experienced:

Whenever my fuel gets low, about 1/8th tank or less, and I accelerate while turning from slow speed or standstill, the engine cuts out. It's only momentarily, but it's enough that the car stalls for a second or two. The big problem is that when I am trying to get into traffic or make a quick manuever, the hesitation puts me at risk.

My guess is the fuel gets sloshed to one side when I turn and the pump runs dry for a second. Is this a factory recall issue? Anyone else had this problem?

CherokeeGold said:
Here's one you may or may not have experienced:

Whenever my fuel gets low, about 1/8th tank or less, and I accelerate while turning from slow speed or standstill, the engine cuts out. It's only momentarily, but it's enough that the car stalls for a second or two. The big problem is that when I am trying to get into traffic or make a quick manuever, the hesitation puts me at risk.

My guess is the fuel gets sloshed to one side when I turn and the pump runs dry for a second. Is this a factory recall issue? Anyone else had this problem?
Why would the fact you run around with the "low fuel" light on, be a factory recall? If you run low on fuel, fill it up. Put more gas in it. Go to any gas staion. Gas stations will be more than happy to sell you more gas.

I think Jay has the simple solution, but I wonder also if this might be the sign of a fuel filter nearing the end of its useful life.

Also, though, you need to be really sure that this problem is related to low fuel, and not just occuring coincidentally with a habit of running near empty. It's not that uncommon a complaint with XJ's to find that something like the crank position sensor wire is shorting against the manifold on turns. It would be a good idea to inspect wiring and the like first. It might also be useful to test the fuel pressure, to see if it's marginal, because I wouldn't expect a momentary slosh to starve the engine that abruptly if the lines are well pressurized to begin with.

Thanks for the replies. My question about a recall was not due to low fuel but rather the design of the tank or fuel system that caused the cutouts when the tank was near empty. Perhaps internal baffles would prevent extreme sloshing. I have tried to duplicate it on a full tank, but it only happens when the tank level is low.

I'll check the crank position sensor wiring to see if that's the problem.

I seem to remember similar complaints on 97+ XJs in general, when the fuel filter is going bad. It is very small compared to the pre '97s, and has a built in regulator, so it costs $$$.

There has been more than one post on this, concensus is that the pump doesn't quite get all the way down there.

4 future reference I wouldn't let it get that low again and live with it. The filter on that is actually part of the pump I believe and its a bear to replace it since you have to drop the tank.

My 97 does that also.

My mom always used to tell me that is just as easy to fill up the top half of the tank as the bottom half :laugh3:

The older tanks have pretty good baffles so no problems there. I've heard of the strainer on the pickup in the tank having come off and causing this problem.

I think its just a jeep thing. On my 88 once you get below a 1/4 tank I start encountering simular problems.

Easy fix, don't let it get below 1/4 tank.

Wacky I'm really low on money and have been running around on 1/4 of a tank for the last couple weeks, regularly into it deep enough that the low fuel light comes on and stays on and then I put another $20-$30 in.

I'm hard cornering and havn't no problems with it cutting out or anything.

Its an 88 BTW.

Back