• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bolt size for RE drop brackets???

Fergie

NAXJA Forum User
The bolts I am talking about are the bolts that replace the cross-member bolts and studs. ILJ says that they are 10x40. Is this correct? 10mm is the width, and 40mm is the length, but what is the pitch(correct term) of the threads?

Thanks

Fergie

Fergie said:
No, the verbage says that the bolts I am looking for are supplied with the t-case drop kit. I have already gone through those directions, and that is why am I am asking.

Fergie
Get as many of the listed pieces of hardware as you can find and then get the closest thing to what you're looking for, for the rest. Don't get stuck in the mindset that needing metric bolts is a must. But lock nuts are.

I have all of the hardware listed on the instructions, to a T.

The bolt size I am looking for is the transfer case cross member stud and bolt. I need to know how much longer the bolt needs to be since the brace will be sandwiched in between the fram and cross member.

Fergie

The plate under the crossmember only adds at most 1/4" to the distance; I never got the bolt size but can pull it tonight and measure if there's no answer yet. For the record, I'm using the RE t-case drop bolts without the spacers currently. I'll get a measure on those...

Yucca-Man said:
The plate under the crossmember only adds at most 1/4" to the distance; I never got the bolt size but can pull it tonight and measure if there's no answer yet. For the record, I'm using the RE t-case drop bolts without the spacers currently. I'll get a measure on those...
I'd appreciate it. Hopefully the DBs will be here today from CO, and I can get them on tomorrow.

Fergie

Since the DB's only add about 1/4", the stock ones should be ok...but I switched to some stronger ones. I ended up just taking the bolts to Home Depot and I think they only had one pitch for that size available. Good luck!

It's an M10 (aka 10mm), with a 1.50 pitch...since there's room inside the frame I know the 50mm bolts are a bit of overkill

Fergie.

10mm by 1.5 thread pitch.
I think you'll be okay with the stock bolt. But you'll need to pull the stud out and replace it with a bolt. (I ended up using a pipe wrench to get the stud out of my frame, it can be tricky)

I bet you knew all that already.

I have most of my drop brackets, and the rest of them are on a FedEx truck heading to my house, (Long story about E-bay and some guy that doesn't move very fast)

Let me know how it goes, and if you have any hints to pass along to me to make the installation of mine go better don't be a stranger.

Daryl

Daryl - familiarize yourself with the parts; make sure you have all the bolts you need and PB Blaster the heck outta the underside.

Once you've got everything set up, get all the bolts in place before tightening anything. Once you start tightening, the brackets will rotate and move around quite a bit which is why you've got to have the bolts in place first.

If you've still got the original studs on your t-case crossmember you're probably going to fight the studs to get them out; there have been plenty of threads about how to do it but just clamp a Vise-Grip on them and twist 'em out. You'll tear the threads up but won't reuse them. http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/re_db.html covers most of the same stuff...I've been chastised recently for not having more info on the DB install *shrug*

Thanks for the info on the bolts.

I have been PBing the bolt and such for the past few days, several times a day. I was hoping I would have everything in the mail yesterday, but no luck, so I'll be doing it this weekend.

The XJ has spent its whole life in Flagstaff, and we havent used salt on the roads until a few years ago, so hopefully I won't break too many.

Man am I looking forward to the ride in when these are installed.

How does the flex compare?

Fergie

Back