• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which black steelies?

Which black steelies are best?

• AR 767 15x8 4 inch Backspace 5 on 4.5

Votes: 45 26.3%
  • Cragar 397 15x8 4 inch backspace 5 on 4.5

Votes: 86 50.3%
  • cragar 342 15x8 4 inch backspace 5 on 4.5

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • other black steelies??

Votes: 32 18.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackash132

NAXJA Forum User
I am about ready to purchase some black rims. I am running 30x9.50 bfg's... one of these days upgrading to 33's... i want to either get

AR767 15x8 with 4inch BS and 5x4 1/2 bolt pattern (that's the right pattern right-2000 XJ)
m767.jpg

or

Cragar 397 with same specs
397.jpg
, or the cragar 342 with same specs
342.jpg

i got the 397s this year because the market still isnt over-run with look-alikes yet... i was very suprised to see how heavy their construction is.. the best $30 wheeel on the market that i have seen....

theyre all made by the same company... theyre all gona be the same... each company just puts their own unique sticker on it..
but ya.. all the same thing.....

As you can see, the AR767 and Cragar 342 are identical. They are made in the same factory. And the Cragars cost less. I just bought a set from Quadratec...4" BS. And the Soft 8 is even less $$.

i didn't know that they were all made in the same place... I know they looked similar ... thanks for the info guys!

blackash

btw is quadratech the best place to get them? how much is shipping for 4?
thanks again

Last edited:
Blackash132 said:
Thanks 10 bucks is much better for shipping... BTW what does IMHO stand for?

thanks again
-blackash

IMHO= In My Humble Opinion...

That link to the 397 at Summit was a 15x7 wheel... a 15x8 will be a little higher.

i like the look of the all black one, but i'd just get the cheapest since they are probably gonna get torn up anyways

I would've gotten the Cragar 397's myself but, at the time I got my rims, they didn't offer these. I ended up with the AR767's. I like the round holes better. I can see these rims taking over the "D" style holes. For one, they are ALL black with no red and blue stripe around it and the round holes just look beefier and better then the "wagon wheel" look of the other ones. When I need new rims, I'm definately getting the Cragar 397's.

I have the 397 and like them because no one in my area has them. They also do not have the two pin strips. I got mine from Quadratech for $37 a wheel shipped. Lug nut kit was around $10 or so.

I have the 397's get something different, I like being unique :) quadratec has really good prices on them, shipping was very reasonable. Jeep does look awesome on them though.

thanks for the advice guys.. I think I'm gonna get the 397's they have really grown on me in the past couple days...I'll get pics of my jeep as soon as i get them.
blackash

I have the 797's, those other ones with the round holes look nice and different. I hate the red & blue stripe though. Why do they need to do that??? :) Can the stripe be peeled off, or is it painted on? I'm going to de-stripe the rims. I got the xj with the 797's, but if I was buying them, I'd get the Crager black round holes with no gay stripes.
Troy

I have black mods with 6 holes. I buoght them from a lady in Redondo Beach, CA that has a Land Rover aftermarket parts company. She has all of her wheels powdered coated satin black instead of shinny black.

She also was able to get me black lug nuts! Not painted, anodized. I have no chrome on my wheels. If I new how to post a pic here, I wold do so.

My total cost for 5 with black lugs was about $200, last summer.

Here is an image. Mine are not the beadlock look alike, they are smooth.
st_wheel.htm

If the Soft 8 would have been out I would have gotten them, but I really like my wheels. I have not seen another Jeep with them.

Robert

The stripes aren't gay, they're patriotic. If they were red, orange, pink, yellow, green, blue and purple, arranged in a rainbow type order, then they would belastara

Some other options....

Rock Crawler Series 51:

rockcrawler_series-51_c.jpg

and

Rock Crawler Series 97:

rockcrawler_series-97_c.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back