• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adjusting a TPS

BIG98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I threw in a new TPS in my 98 thinking it would solve my tranny problem(skipping 2nd, and sometimes wont down shift). Still doing the same thing, is there any adjustment needed? Or how does this work, thanks Kerry

Is the kickdown cable adjusted correctly?

I had that problem, it was an electrical plug with water in it, dried out after a few days I thought my tranny was gone, transmission place said to bring it back thursday, tuesday it straightened up

Well I do have a warranty on it believe it or not. Who would of thought a tranny shop would warranty out a tranny with a jeep on 37s?! Anyways I just wanna eliminate any possobilites before I take it in.

I would definetly adjust your TPS first. I put a new one on and had to do it. IT was acting up and impacting the TCU. Do a search and you will find plenty of info. Basically, you want your output to be 83% (I think, although now I am not sure if it is not 87% do a search ) of your input.
BSD

first i would check (or replace) the shift solenoid for 1st to 2nd

i dont think your tranny is going bad--it definately sounds electrical....

i had a similiar (if not the same) problem on my 96 AW-4, and it turned out to be a bad tranny computer

the computer on my 96 is a small black box, about the size of a deck of cards, located under the dash on the passenger side.

i ended up buying a brandnew one at the dealer....i think it was like $180 IIRC
that solved all my tranny problems, just like u described

now, for my 96 at the dealer, they had 2 choices of computers, the regular one and the police pkg one....i asked the parts guy what the difference was between them, and (of course) he didnt know
i would guess it may make shift points higher and harder, but im just guessing

the parts guy said if i dont already have a police pkg jeep, then i shouldnt get the police tranny computer because it may not be compatible with my rig.......i dont know if i believe that, but i ended up getting the regular one anyway

hope this helps

CaptTrev

Back