• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

locker selection front(aussie locker)

I've got one. Had it in for 6 months or so.

Pros: cheap and does what it is supposed to - easy to install (had to grind the D30 carrier slightly to get the locker to fit)

Cons: noisy

avsno2000 said:
Just wondering if anyone is running aussie locker up front
pros and cons?

if not, what do you have and how do you like it?

PM Jeepme, he responds to the mods section alot, but that what he was running on the Rubicon when I went with him. Aussie front dana 30/ARB rear 8.25 and he did good. A little hard to turn sharply. If you can find a good unit used, I would save for an arb. That's what I have and I just use it when I need it, otherwise it stays open up front. I know this is why I haven't blown my dana 30 yet with the 35" tires on 2 trips to the Con and 1 to Fordyce and other lesser Sierra trails.
Aussie are said to be more civilized than a lock-rite or other lunch box, do it yourself locker. Might also want to try the Detroit No-Slip which is nice and quite, but still a full locker, no ls.
Troy

isnt it hte same as a lock right

Yep I got one. It works Great and stearing is a non issue I have had no problems with steering offroad other than the fact that it feels a little tighter, like stock. Making sharp turns in 4wd is really no problem and if it becomes one, just put the tranny in nuetral, turn the wheel, and put it back in gear and go. I have manual hubs so street driving is un effected but I did drive around with them locked for about 2 weeks to break in the unit and the only time I noticed it was in sharp turns (like parking in a parking lot) but even then it was hardly noticeable. Go For It you will love it. If you are running 33" or bigger tires I would Highly reccomend chromoly shafts and at least 760 joints.

I've had an aussie up front for over a year now. It find it much quieter than the lockright I have in the rear. It works like it's supposed to and I haven't had any issues with steering. I did keep the disco axle so I can manually disco the passenger side shaft if I forsee a really tight turn on solid rock....but generally I don't really have to.

I wouldn't recommend a front non-selectable locker in a daily driver that sees winter weather. It makes driving upredictable in some situations.

The aussie, quicklock, lockright and ez locker are all the same basic design. The no-slip is a very quiet design but needs to be rebuilt every year. its also made by Tractech who also made the detroit locker. I ran a no-slip for 4 years.

Rawbrown said:
The aussie, quicklock, lockright and ez locker are all the same basic design. The no-slip is a very quiet design but needs to be rebuilt every year. its also made by Tractech who also made the detroit locker. I ran a no-slip for 4 years.
Ryan-
Why does the No-Slip need rebuilding every year? I hadn't heard of that. Do the springs wear quicker on this unit?

Don't the friction pads on the no-slip wear down like brake pads? It just means that the viability of a no-slip as a "fire and forget" traction device is killed. I'm sure that unless you wheel it hard every day it should survive quite a few years!

The only downturn of a aussie locker or a lock-right on the road, is that in the Winter, in 4WD, your front end will tend to understeer. If you drive in the Mountains, this could cause some disconcerning moments.

Off-Road the only draw back I have seen is reduced life of the drivers side axle shaft. Upgrading to a alloy axle took care of that concern.

Rawbrown said:

The No-Slip is made by Powertrax who is owned by Richmond and should not need to be rebuilt every year. With proper set up and maintance it should last just as long as a lock-right. Tractech makes the detroit and use to make the ez locker, they were bought by Eaton some time ago, but they have no relationship to Powertrax and Richmond.

[/quote]Don't the friction pads on the no-slip wear down like brake pads? It just means that the viability of a no-slip as a "fire and forget" traction device is killed. I'm sure that unless you wheel it hard every day it should survive quite a few years!.[/quote]

I don't know where this is comeing from, might be thinking of a limited slip of some sort. The No-Slip has no friction pads or anything that resembles any. It is an upgraded lockright that adds a holdout spacer to reduce noise and make the locker smoother in operation.

Zuki-Ron said:
The only downturn of a aussie locker or a lock-right on the road, is that in the Winter, in 4WD, your front end will tend to understeer. If you drive in the Mountains, this could cause some disconcerning moments.

I havent had this problem in the 4 years I ve had my Aussie. If you run the rear locked also, I could see that happening. I do'nt run the rear locked on snowy mountain roads and have had no handling quirks at all in 4WD with the Aussie.

Last edited:
Back