• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Building a Rear Spring Pack

Ludakris

NAXJA Forum User
I have build a rear spring pack for my XJ, but have some questions. I used S-10 leaves. I cut the eyes of the main S-10 leaf, and used it as a full length add a leaf. so the leafs are XJ/S-10/XJ/S-10/XJ/XJ/ S-10 overload/ 3* shim. My question is with wrapping the leaves. I cut the wraps for the main and second leaf on the original packs. Now the only things holding them together are the center pins, and of course the u-bolts. What will this effect? axle wrap? What is the easiest way to make some wraps, or limiting brackets?

You can buy premade spring clamps from a 4x4 shop or Rubicon Express if you can't find them local.

They are called "rebound clips" and within the past month or so someone posted an on-line source for them. They're cheap, like about $1.75 each.

What they do is prevent the springs from "fanning out." Unrestrained, the leaves can start to rotate in the horizontal plane, so the tiops aren't all lined up under the main leaf. If they move far enough, they can cut a sidewall.

OK, so I do need them. Next question, how do I mount them? the ones on the S-10 leafs were held on with a welded/rivet thing that I cut off, The Cherokee ones were a band thing with an "ear" that stuck in a hole. From what I have seen, the aftermarket ones bolt on. would i have to drill a hole?
I found these http://www.huskyspring.com/main.taf?cat=160 is this what I want? Thanks.
oh, and by the way, these things are sitting at 5" of lift... hopefully they will settle down a bit...

those would be teh ones. you just put them on like shown and then just bang the ears around with a hammer(the extra that is sticking out)

I'm not sure if you are up to building some, but there is a pretty good link right here that shows how you can make some of your own for pretty cheap. I made some like these using this example, but ended up using some new ones I got for free.
Good luck,
Beej.

Back