• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's leaf packs?

TDeaton13

NAXJA Forum User
I know what people generally think about Rusty's stuff. But I want to know what people think about his full leaf packs?? Has anyone had any experience with them? Any comments would be great.

Thanks

I have the 6" non-military wrap leaf pack from Rusty. Initially I thought they "sucked" because they sagged about 1.5"s over the first two 4 wheelin' trips. They also shaped themselves into the dreaded "S". They did create some problems with vibes as the pinion angle changed with the break in of the springs. I ended up shimming them down about 6 degrees. To fix this "s" shapping and sagging, Rusty sent me some heavy duty short add-a-leaves. I didn't want to add these because I thought it would affect the ride. That's one thing I can say about Rusty's springs is that the spring rate is very nice, very smooth ride. Prob. why they are so bent out of shape too.

I changed my rear axle from a 35 to the 8.25 which helped with most of the sag for a year. Recently I added another long leaf out of a CJ (added to the main in the 2nd place), and a long add-a-leaf from ? this netted about 2"s of lift and got rid of the "S" shapping. I was also able to get rid of the 6 degree shims. The ride is still silky smooth and the springs seem to handle lots of flexin'.

Out of fairness to Rusty, he told me not to go with the military wraps as they would be harsh on a daily driver. Off-road he said they would limit flex. He suggested running the non-military wrappers. I ran these springs without extended bumpstops, as you know the XJ has rediculous flex. This flex can quickly mess up anybody's packs.

SO... I would say to run his non-military wrap springs for the daily driver with extended bump stops to save them from bending in the off-road environment. OR... expect to add some leaves after some serious flexin'. I think the ride alone is worth running Rusty's springs. I have heard alot of others that limited flex and gave harsh on road ride. For the price I would buy Rusty's packs again. If anything they are great to build on.

Greddy

After my trip this weekend, my right spring has sagged about 1.5". It's very noticable whenever you look at it from behind, and even more so when you look at how bent the leaf pack is. I wouldn't recommend them really.

I,ve got the 4.5" packs. Had them on for 1 year & can't get them to sag. Just towed a 5 x 10 u-haul 600 miles & within 2 days the springs came back up to normal ride hieght. JIM.

I/ve had th 4.5" for three years now. started out too short eye-to-eye dist. had to add extended shackle to let them flex and get the eye off the front of the rear pocket. I then removed the shortest leaf and replaced it with the stock short leaf to help them settle more. after a couple months the shackles were in the correct orientation and the springs were starting to ride amazing. just recently, i took out the middle leaf and replaced it with the stock middle leaf. this made them even softer...soo soft..i love it. they're now even with my front 4.5" Re coils with 5/8" spacer.

I say, if you want to bolt some springs on and leave it...go with RE, or another. I went the cheap way and tuned them to my liking. it can be fun. and its good practice at removing the rear diff.

wouldnt recommend them if you plan to tow. I haul about 80 lbs of subwoofer and what not, a 90lb rear bumper, rocker skidds. when all packed up(with people or gear), the jeep sags in the rear. for a DD, i like it to float like caddy.

I put rusty's 3" packs in my 93....loved the spring rate...although i cant comment on the sagging b/c the wheeling i do is probably minor compared to everyone else. I go maybe once a week and only had the packs in there for about 6 or 7 months....then i sold the jeep. I dont know if spring packs are supposed to settle before 6 or 7 months...but mine deffinatly didnt...i wanted to add a 3/4" spacer up front to even it out.

I have Big Offroad springs and their great. I would highly recommend them to anyone. I have abused the heck out of them towing and wheeling. They have not sagged one bit. They seem to ride decent too. I have the 6" springs.

B-loose

I have Rusty's 4.5" leaf packs and I love them. At first they seemed kinda stiff as all new leafs do. But, after they wore in a little, the rode smooth. People always comment about how nice of a ride I get. Can't say if they ever sagged much or not. All springs do though. I never measured but it still sits level. I even run a 2" lift block on them and they are holding up great from the added stress. Been runnin it this way for a year now with no plans of changing it.

Well has anyone ever run the 3.5" packs? And if so how much lift did you "actually" get out of them?

Thanks for the info. keep it coming.

i got the rusty's 3" packs. i like them so far there like a month old i got some good rear lift from them, get the spacers for the front. "i didn't but wish i did"
Picture1051.jpg

Picture1740.jpg

p.s. theres a 200 pound person, 4 stock tires and a full tool box and jack in the rear in the pic.

I would recommend using an extended shackle with anything larger than the stock rear leaves. They'll help the leaves to flex better.

Thanks-Stretch

stretch_01.jpg

RustysOffroad.com

Back