• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

late model xj questions

98 sport

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought a 98 xj (4.0 4wd ), being a sports car guy who needed something practical, im suprised how much this tank has grown on me.(nie to have space to fit a wrench under the hood) I have a few newbie questions i need help with.

- my heater fan only works on high level (4 i think) anyone know why?
- my rear axel seems to be leaking diff fluid out by the drum break, gotta keep filling up the pumpkin. Is this a typicall problem?
-how do i find out if i have up country suspenion, rear axel type etc?
- i seem to get vibrations on the highway, that happen when under load before the tranny drops a gear ( like under 2k rpm)
- anyone else have a clunk when coming to a stop, accelerating from a stop light?

Thanks for helping me with my shopping list. Always sucks to be the new guy.

I'm a new guy too, but I can definitely help with #1 since I just addressed this issue myself. Most likely it is your resistor pack, either the thermal fuse is blown, or (as in my case) a connection is corroded/broken.

Here is a link to a great site that should get you started: http://www.geocities.com/chmwatson/FAQs/Jeep/HVAC-fuselink_fix.html

Note: the page is for pre 97's, but on my 99 the resistor pack was in roughly the same location.

#1. Already answered.
#2. Sounds like an axle seal. You will need to remove the axle to replace it.
#3. Up countrys sit higher than other XJs. Measure from your front wheel center to the btom of the flare..if it's 17" you probably don't have the up-country package. If you have ABS you have the Dana 35. If you don't have ABS you have the 8.25, most likely, if it has a flat bottom its an 8.25.
#4. Could be a u-joint.
#5. Could also be a u-joint. Also could be the splines on the transfer case output need grease. Many here have found this to be a problem. Remove the rear drive shaft and lubricate the splines.

Welcome to NAXJA.

I'm guessing that the diff leak is the inboard axle seal. You can get to it from the inside of the diff. this can be tricky if your axles are c-clips (and its a good bet if its a stock axle) so it would be a good idea to pick up a service manual. Spend the extra and get the factory manual as the Chilton, Haynes ect. manuals don't go into detail about the gears. The clunk starting and stopping is likely a bad lower control arm bushing. Another likely culprit is the shock bushings. They don't wear out visibly like others do, but the bar-pins on the lower front and upper rear mounts do not preload the bushing at all, so any slop is translated into a thunking noise when loaded or unloaded. You got me on the tranny vibes, however, the U-joints are where I'd start. Make sure they are greased well, and that there is no play in them.
As for the type of suspension/axle set up set up, the UpCountry kit can be ID by the existance of factory skid plates, front tow hooks, and a Trac-loc rear diff.
further Axle ID help: http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/gear1.html#axle

jeepguy97 said:
#1. Already answered.
If you have ABS you have the Dana 35. If you don't have ABS you have the 8.25, most likely, if it has a flat bottom its an 8.25.
Welcome to NAXJA.

I just read a thread about this and i dont believe you are correct in saying this...though it may be the common i dont believe it is 100% fool proof

Basically to tell the difference... look for "Dana"(oval cover) on the back or "Chryco"(oval cover, with a flat bottom)

if it looks like this - its a d-35

kp0tu

Especialy if it has this in the top right corner of the pumpkin...

kp0yd

Yup thats right - im a proud owner of a D35c with factory tracklock and 3.07 gears with 169,000 miles on it!

For some great info on your new XJ contact DC and ask them for a factory build sheet. This will tell you every single thing that the original MSRP would have, including your diff. if you have not figured that out. Don't forget to include your full VIN. They'll even update you as the new owner and you'll get discounts in the mail for service.

Back