• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bushwacker vs TJ flare size

Cheropair

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know which is wider and which is "bigger"?

Looking to make some major cuts, but I want to keep the tires covered. Bigger is always better, more tire/less lift. It's on an MJ, so it looks like the 2dr XJ flares are the same according to BW's website.

Looking to mount 35x12.5 on about 5.5" lift, w/o bumpstops! Fender opening size is optional......

I have more clearance with tj flares than you can get with bushwackers. You can controll how much you cut with a tj flare because you cut them to match the body line, with a bushwacker its fixed.

not to mention the $ difference

Yea the TJ flares give way more clearance. I cut about 5" from my front fenders, but with BW's, you can barely cut to about the lip.

thats 2 more inches to get caught up on shit on the trail

TJ flares will work well but the Rubicon flares or the sahara flares will be what I use....cheaper and more clearance...

You can make your fender opening significantly wider and higher with TJ flares than you can with Bushwackers. If you really want insanely wide flares, you can get aftermarket TJ flares that are 6" or 7" wide and guaranteed to catch every other tree on the trail.

If you want, you could set up your tj flares, then get some tj bushwacker flares and put those on. That's what I was planning on doing in the future once I go even bigger

Take a look inside a Bushwacker TJ or YJ flare. They don't have the inner liner like the XJ Bushwackers. You could always just gut the inner section of the Bushwacker flare out and cut out as much metal as you want, all the way up the the mounting screws. This would allow a much larger opening than the stock TJ flare. What you do with the welded seam is up to you.

xjbushwackergutted.jpg

xjflex2.jpg

As xjj33p3r said, you could get Wrangler Bushwackers. They allow for a lot of metal to be removed too, and they're still wide enough to keep Johnny law off your back. These are YJ Wackers:

xjflaresyj1.jpg

WOW, no cut and dried answer (big surprise)! Looks like I will go with the TJ flares for now, have a gift certificate w/ 4wd Hardware that will just about cover the cost of replacement Omix-Ada TJ knock-offs, and they won't have the bolts showing like the BW's. May rig up a quick-disconnect mounting so I can remove them on the trail for ultimate stuffage if I find that is neccessary.

Thanks for all of the responses!

The way that tj flares mount will look awful once you take them off. I followed the line of the flare in order open it up the most, and it looks normal with the flare on, but once I take it off, it just looks goofy. Best of luck to you

I bash my tj flarel all the time and they havent cracked or broken. My buddy runs BWs on a bronco and they a busted up. Mostly because they are wider and more brittle. Also I can stuff a 36X12.50 within my tj flares and I run full widths.

Back