• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can a track bar be cut and lengthened

dandecicco

NAXJA Forum User
I am lifting another 2"s and will need to address track bar issues on my 87 (total 5" lift when adding 2" spacers). Everyone has opinions on RE adjustable trackbars and similiar products, but has anyone ever thought about just cutting the track bar, adding desired length, and then welding it all back up? After that, welding some sort of tube around the connected pieces to strengthen? Is that even possible?

I am not saying I am going to do it, but it seems like it might be possible instead of replacing the entire unit.

BrettM said:
with good welds and good sized material for the sleeve, it's fine
What he said.

I see two potential problems. First is to determine by how much to lengthen the bar. Second is to be sure you've got good welds. If you're a skilled and experienced welder, fine, but anything that directly affects keeping the vehicle going where it's pointed is not the sort of thing you want to be getting OJT with.

redyouch said:
just re-drill the axle-end mount

i've done this... and with LA's it will eventually oval out your redrilled how, creating some slop. i would really just buy a new TB with joinny joints or something of that effect.

brandon

Back