• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trail Kids

bburge

Lost in Translation
(for Mikey! ;-)

We do pretty good at being a family outing. I must admit that on overnight trips I like to sit in front of my tent with a beer or three and yabber; but I will always be kid acceptable (if any are around).

I would have not been comfortble about having either of my kids around at the last SoCalXJ Jambo, due to some of the drama.

I like to take my kids to these sort of things and welcome other's bringing theirs. Scott (sintax) almost always brings short people along. My kids are getting older (12 & 14) and jaded - so I have to almost roll it to make them put down the gameboy! :mad: They can also be picky eaters.

Mike! She's a cutie! Bring her along if she wants to come. Maybe we should have a Kid's Run? I'm not sure what we could do or how we would do it, but I'd like suggestions.

Or we could just do what Scott does: "Hey! Keep and eye on your little brother! If he wanders off and we come home without him - your Mom is gonna be ****ed!" :wave:

bburge

ok, here's a suggestion from a big kid with no known little kids :D who always hated (and to this day hates) back seats.

So now that we know that back seats are no fun.... should there be a run and one has more then one "little person" with them they could coerce/bribe/convince other jeepers with no little people to show up and offer up the shotgun seat as that's where the action becomes more fun.
I've seen this happen quite often this year in moab were people with only driver would offer up the passenger seat to someone in a vehicle that had more then 2 occupants. It seemed to be a win win situation especially since the "aquired" passenger quite often had to pay his passage by working the driver's camera.

Remi that's a great idea. I wouldn't mind offering up my shotgun seat if it's free, but usually it's occupied by my better half.

RisingSun said:
Its all about delagating!! :laugh3:

Scott S.

Or we could just do what Scott does: "Hey! Keep and eye on your little brother! If he wanders off and we come home without him - your Mom is gonna be ****ed!" :wave:

bburge
[/QUOTE]

Oooops! You're the Scott I MEANT! :wierd:

bburge

haha yea I was going to ask you if you were refering to Scott S. I dont have any of the :rattle: that i know of at least.

-Scott

i was wondering if you can share with me what was unacceptable and constituted "drama" at the last Socal Jambo as i was unable to attend and would like to avoid offending anyone in the future. thank you

If you were unable to attend, how could you offend someone in the future?

There were some youngin' having relationship problems (as well as drinking problems) and their friends. The guy who was there as part of SoCalXJ was fine; but his whack-chick (ex)girlfriend tracked him down and had a couple of her other guy-friends drive her out there and they stayed around and drank a round or twelve.

I would have been more vocal about it had either of my kids been there.

bburge

I too admit that I LOVE/cherrish to have my 2 kids along... OH ! and the wife ! I often go without sleep after getting off a graveyard shift to spend the better part of a Sun. with the family.... I'm kinda looking at it as a investment in the future, hopefully they'll keep wanting to come & enjoy the camping & such, maybe not stray too far..... I hope.
I don't have a problem with someone enjoying a beer or 3 but its when its taken to excess & too loud (ie. music,language, screaming..etc.) I'm lucky also the kids (8 & 5 yesterday) tend to look for the sleeping bag realitively early, but then one of us ( me or the wife) needs to stick close to the tent. I have to watch my language cause I can get carried away from time to time usually not when kids are around. I remember on the first So.Cal. trip in 03 in B.B. there was a guy I believe his name was Mike (I'm horrible with names) he had an ADORIBLE ! little girl...I want to say her name was Melissa or the likes.... she was a CUTIE ! As to the rear seat thing I tend to look at it like if they've never rode shotgun then they don't know any better... sometimes my 8 yr. old daughter will ride up front if the trail is mild & moms not along the boy is not quite big enough.
I'd offer a shotgun seat to anyone who wanted it IF! I was solo.
Kevin 3151 I totally agree about the not feeling right or missing them if they're not there.
Back in the spring when we ran the Mojave Rd. the kids were my main reason for wanting to go... I want them to experience all that wheeling and camping has to offer (except a roll or accident) who knows how much longer we'll be able to explore the back roads, I want them to be able to say that they were there when you could....be there. Just the other day my daughter mentioned the petroglyphs (spl.) on the Mojave Rd. She even took afew pict. to school awhile back. That was a fun trip, needed more time though....
My kids have been to Calico, the desert & along the Mojave Rd. with the So.
Cal. NAXJA folks and I felt all the BIG kids behaved. I also try to keep alittle distance so that way the revel makers can still "partake" & enjoy.
It's funny cause many years ago I was looking for the toughest hill or slot & now I just want to go out with the family & friends & be in the back country.
Anyways.... sorry for the length but once I get started I tend to go on...
See Y'all on the trail....hopefully with the next generation of wheelers.
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

Last edited:
Xtreme XJ said:
I remember on the first So.Cal. trip in 03 in B.B. there was a guy I believe his name was Mike (I'm horrible with names)
I think you're thinking of Jason (Jones)
See Y'all on the trail....hopefully with the next generation of wheelers.
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)
Hey.. when are you up again for a trip south of the 40?

Kejtar said:
I think you're thinking of Jason (Jones)

Hey.. when are you up again for a trip south of the 40?

Maybe....I am the NAMEMIESTER ! Blue woody XJ wagoneer....

South of I-40 is alot of area.....right now I'm work'n a relief shift.... which is all of them with no weekends off. So it might be a month or so....any wheel'n I'm doing right now is mild Sun. (every other) cruising after I get off at 0800.

I'll be keeping my eyes open for any trips posted......

See Ya !
Curt

(ramble on)
My sons (11 & 13) love wheeling. They have gotten to experience many great off road spots in Big Bear, LCIR, Calico, and our trip last year to Moab for EJS. All of those trips were from the back seat as we usually all go (Mom rides shotgun) on the trips. Just a couple weeks ago, my 11 yr old and I went to Death Valley w/ our KJ club and had a great time together. He had a great time riding shotgun and I even let him drive the trail from the Saline Hot Springs out to the main dirt road, he had a blast. Of course his deepest memories of the trip are the "naked people" from the "clothing optional" springs area. LOL! Our next trip will be to Calico for Thanksgiving and that will also be the XJ's first trip out. I will be letting my 13 yr old son try his hand at the wheel on some of the dirt roads and easy spots on the trail. Like XtremeXJ, I love our Quality time together as a family while wheeling and camping. I want them to experience all the cool places they would never even know about if it wasn't for our Jeep and our Great club (L.O.S.T. KJ WEST) and it's great members. Hopefully in the process of all this, I am giving them an appreciation of lifes simple pleasures, mainly, hanging w/ good friends in the great outdoors. (ramble off)

Re: Trail Kids... Odd timing

Xtreme XJ said:
. Just the other day my daughter mentioned the petroglyphs (spl.) on the Mojave Rd. She even took afew pict. to school awhile back.
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

Interesting timing... 2 hrs. after I posted about her taking the pics. to school
they came home (modified) in the homework folder. :)
See Y'all !!
Curt

Kids are great on the trail.

Little dude drove all of Hells Revenge in Moab....

IMG_4280.jpg

IMG_4306.jpg

When he's taller than the tire I'll let him take the jeep by himself.
IMG_4275.jpg

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]
When he's taller than the tire I'll let him take the jeep by himself.
[/QUOTE]

I hope you keep getting bigger tires..LOL.

My son is only 14 months old. I can't wait until he is old enough to really enjoy off-roading, camping, fishing, etc.....but agin, I don't want him growing up too fast....

bburge said:
If you were unable to attend, how could you offend someone in the future?

There were some youngin' having relationship problems (as well as drinking problems) and their friends. The guy who was there as part of SoCalXJ was fine; but his whack-chick (ex)girlfriend tracked him down and had a couple of her other guy-friends drive her out there and they stayed around and drank a round or twelve.

I would have been more vocal about it had either of my kids been there.

bburge
Seems a shame that you would suggest in your wording that Socalxj is not a family oriented group due to thae fact that one univited person that showed up was not up to your standards, the rest of the group tried to deal with it as best as posible

Back