• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE front axle bracket kit...who's done it?

BillR

Toy Jeep driver!
I received mine today and I'd like to get started, but I want some pics and/or tips from those who've installed this kit. (RE9968) It doesn't look TOO tough, but if I could get some pics of a finished install I'd be very grateful!
BTW, this is going on a HP Dana 44, 1976 Ford F-100, shortened to Waggy-length.
TIA! :wave:

With that axle you shouldn't have much of a problem, I've done several of them. With a 78 or later ford axle with the radius arm mounts "cast" instead of welded on (like yours) it is a bit of a grind and fit feast, but still not real difficult to do. I just modified this kit to fit my hp60 and it fit like a glove with a little grinding and shaping. You just need to cut the radius arm mounts off, wich I imagine you figured out on your own. Good luck..

BIGWOODY said:
With that axle you shouldn't have much of a problem, I've done several of them. With a 78 or later ford axle with the radius arm mounts "cast" instead of welded on (like yours) it is a bit of a grind and fit feast, but still not real difficult to do. I just modified this kit to fit my hp60 and it fit like a glove with a little grinding and shaping. You just need to cut the radius arm mounts off, wich I imagine you figured out on your own. Good luck..
I already have the radius arm mounts ground off, so the kit's ready to install. I'd just like some pics before I start welding. I was able to pick-up a spare HP 30 so I can compare them side-by-side.

BillR said:
I already have the radius arm mounts ground off, so the kit's ready to install. I'd just like some pics before I start welding. I was able to pick-up a spare HP 30 so I can compare them side-by-side.
Using the d30 housing to take measurements is the way to go (I knew they were good for something) I have one I keep around here just for putting these brackets on. Get an angle finder to set the angle of the uppers correctly if I recall correctly the sat at about 76 degrees. you may even want to wait before welding on the upper mount on the "bridge" over the diff., I had the problem of getting one a little close to the RE HD track bar bracket and had to grind some off to clear it during suspension cycling. I moved the track bar mount on top of the axle instead of the stock location underneath, it seem to improve the flex in the front end quite a bit and didn't compromise on road behavior.

BillR said:
I received mine today and I'd like to get started, but I want some pics and/or tips from those who've installed this kit.

Hey Bill, just send it over here, I'll throw it on mine and let you know how it goes. Oh, and I'll pay shipping, I wouldn't want you to lose any money on the deal..............:moon:

BIGWOODY said:
I had the problem of getting one a little close to the RE HD track bar bracket and had to grind some off to clear it during suspension cycling. I moved the track bar mount on top of the axle instead of the stock location underneath, it seem to improve the flex in the front end quite a bit and didn't compromise on road behavior.
So did you shorten the trackbar, or get a different one for the RE HD bracket?

91 Jeep Project said:
Hey Bill, just send it over here, I'll throw it on mine and let you know how it goes. Oh, and I'll pay shipping, I wouldn't want you to lose any money on the deal..............:moon:
So, I'll ship it to you, then you'll weld the brackets on and test it, then send it back? Sign me up!
:laugh3:

I started welding the kit on today. After I got the bridge welded on, there was NO WAY to get the coil mounts close enough together and have the axle centered. I have the coil mounts about 3/4" off on each side. (wider)
My inner axle shafts fit fine, so I'm pretty sure the housing is cut down correctly. One of the installation writeups I found said that he moved each mount about 1/2 centemeter out due to being close to the bridge. Mine's a bit more than that.
Ideas?
Is this normal?

Wish I could help you with that. However there are plently of people who use the stock radius arm to mount their coils. It bows thems out alot more than your looking at and they never seem to have any issues.

But, I have an idea for my own project. Could you do me a favor and give a measurement for the R.E. Coil Bucket Bracket width wise, parallel with the tubes?

91 Jeep Project said:
Wish I could help you with that. However there are plently of people who use the stock radius arm to mount their coils. It bows thems out alot more than your looking at and they never seem to have any issues.

But, I have an idea for my own project. Could you do me a favor and give a measurement for the R.E. Coil Bucket Bracket width wise, parallel with the tubes?
DJ-
The brackets are about 4.5" wide by around 10" long. My measurement between the brackets, inside-inside, is 31.5. Each coil center is 3" from the inside edge; 31.5 + 6" for both offsets is 37.5" between coil centers. (vs. 36" for a stock Dana 30)
HTH

I don't remember the exact measurements on my setup (www.madxj.com), but I think you'll be just fine spacing the lower coil mounts out 3/4" further per side as long as the coils clear the inner C when mounted up. I mounted my coil mounts raised 2" and the coils themselves WOULD have hit the inner C's if the mount wasn't raised. I used 14.69" and 32.12" axle shaft lengths which are short early waggy and long late waggy. This increased distance will also help keep the coils off the track bar mount during articulation. Jeff

Jeff 98XJ WI said:
Hey, I just measured my coil center to coil center and came up with about 37.5" using a tape measure by myself so it's not REAL accurate, but pretty close. Jeff
That's the same measurement I got. I used both late Waggy shafts.
I didn't know about the coils hitting the Cs. What causes this? Got any pics?

Back