• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Small lift questions

ecrogers

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone seen 2"-3" lift leaf spring packs that will really give only 2"-3" of lift. I can't seem to find anything smaller than 3.5"?

Is there a downside to just using shackles to get 2" out of the rear?

Will I need new shocks if I go from stock to 2"-3"?

Thanks

OME has what you want in fact they dont make a leaf spring with over 2.5 inches of lift, only thing is you are going to pay for it, my ome spring packs each cost about the same as a pair of rustys spring packs but i love them, another thing to consider is the amount of weight youll be carrying arounf. shackles are ok, only problem is they have a habit of killing oem packs, and you wont nessacarily need new shocks it all depends on what you use ur jeep for, at 2-3 inches of lift your stock shocks will be close to being maxed out, so they will limit your flex offroad

Do you know what degree shim I would use on the rear axle if I go with just the 2.5" leaf back? Do I need one at all?

I would rather put it in the first time if there is a chance I will need it...

ecrogers said:
Has anyone seen 2"-3" lift leaf spring packs that will really give only 2"-3" of lift. I can't seem to find anything smaller than 3.5"?
Rusty's offroad leaves tend to be about 3" when settled out (from what i have read)

ecrogers said:
Is there a downside to just using shackles to get 2" out of the rear?
there was a thread around here about shackles and killing of spring packs that had many pages of people discussing it,
check out Eagle's post in this - it makes me a fan of shackles - with PROPER bumpstops:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36893&highlight=Shackle+Bump+Stops

ecrogers said:
Will I need new shocks if I go from stock to 2"-3"?

new shocks will be a good idea as the old ones will limit your flex if you are ever in a situation where your suspention unloads real fast, you run a risk of breaking your bar pin mounts and loosing your shocks - a real drag. With shocks being like $35 a piece for new ones and cheaper if you buy them with a kit - sometimes free deals come up, i see no reason to keep the stock ones.
annother option if you dont have the money to get new shocks would be to get BPE's or Bar Pin Eliminators. this adds about 1.5" to the length of the shock and allows for more shock options whenever you do decide to upgrade.

All in all - congratulations in finding NAXJA and keep searching and asking questions - great people here with a lot of knowledge...

-XJ_Ranger

If you take the spring packs from a Dodge daokta and ditch the main leaf of that pack and put it under the XJ main leaf it will net you right around 3". All you keep from the XJ pack is the main leaf, I got just under 3" of lift. Any dakota from 89-96 will work, mine ride real nice and they can hold a pretty good load.

technicaly any spring that is 2.5" wide will fit under the main leaf, just have to drill a new hole.

there was a great thread a little while ago about building leaf packs... lemme see if i can find it...

ah ha! here is the perfect DIY leaf thread read Goatman's post:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23381&highlight=leaf

Other than drilling a new hole for the bigger centering pin it was really easy, and I only paid $50 for the springs. Beats the hell out of aftermarket spring prices.

I have a BDS 3" kit on mine. Works great, haven't had a single problem, and I offroad in Colorado relatively frequently. It came with new shocks, but I'm not sure how much longer than stock they are if at all. Check with the people you buy them from. I got mine from Predator 4x4 here in Colorado for a great price with a limited warranty.

Back