• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clear plastic box w/gears under the dash

JaysXJ

NAXJA Forum User
There is a small clear plastic box under the dash right below the ciggy lighter with small white gears in it. What is this? Is it for Emissions? Just curious...

So what happens if you just yank the sucker out? Nothing? No CEL?
I found the emissions timer box a few days ago and yanked it... just wondering myself

Actually, mine came without a fuse, the factory sent me one attached to a recall notice, with instruction on where to stick it....I tossed it. No lights, no nothing, ever.

Rev

is that the thing that turns on the CE light at certain mileage so that people come running to the dealer to find out whats wrong with their XJ with 30,000 miles on it?

Not exactly. It turns on the "Maintenance Required" light ... at about 80,000 miles.

gotcha... sorry to steal, but anyone know what years this came in?

Shows up in the 88 XJ also

So from what I understand it can be yanked or the fuse can be pulled! That means it is not needed or nessasary?

just wondering that orange light is nerv racking...

The answer is yes it can be pulled. It probably isn't exactly legal due to emissions laws.

Back