• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cutting Drive Shaft

OT

NAXJA Forum User
When the vehicle is sitting static, should the slip joint on the drive shaft be centered or should it be up on the shaft more or less?

BrettM said:
Grand Waggys have the slip right at the end of the shaft, the t-case end. seems like that would be best to me, keep the slip out of the rocks.
To me, that's not an option, if you're referring to having the double cardan at the axle end.

But I need to know where to set the slip at, so I can get the right measurement before I weld.

Okie Terry said:
To me, that's not an option, if you're referring to having the double cardan at the axle end.

But I need to know where to set the slip at, so I can get the right measurement before I weld.
I think you want about an inch and a half of compression available from static and at least an inch and half of engagement at full extension.

Measure your slip yoke length and static yoke to yoke length then call a driveshaft shop and get their recommendation.

are you talking about how much compression and extension to have in your slip, or which end of the shaft (or middle) to put the slip? I read the question as the second, for which I would recommend putting the slip up near the T-case and double-cardan joint rather than close to the axle. If you were asking the first, the best way would be to cycle your suspension.

Back