• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Warn M8000 vs Magnum 9000 winch for use in ARB bumper

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking of getting in on the winch group buy on JU. The two I'm looking at are the Warn M8000 and the Magnum 9000. Which would be best for my bumper?

The Magnum has an extra 1,000 lbs rating, 20 more feet of line, a roller fair lead standard, not to mention it's about $60 cheaper than the M8000, and another $50+ for a roller fairlead. The Magnum does seem to have a smaller motor with a slower pull speed(not that large of concern).

Would a Hawse or roller fairlead work best in my ARB? What are the differences in the warrenty?

So should I go with the M8000 or the Magnum 9000?

90Pioneer said:
no one has any input?

Go Warn. The ARB bumper has standards and will spit out the Magnum. Seriously, stay with a name-brand proven winch, it is a PITA to mount the winch in the ARB bumper, do it once, do it right.

Rev

Ummmm, the Magnum is a Warn. When I was checking out winches I e-mail Warn about their Magnum winches. Unlike the Milemarkers, which are made in China, the Magnums are made in the USA (very important to me). That being said the reason I went with the Warn is the lifetime warranty. The Magnum is either a 1yr or 2 yr I can't remember which. I think the lifetime warranty is worth the extra money. I wouldn't worry about the extra 1000lbs myself. I also wouldn't worry too much about the roller fairlead. When your winch cable starts to get bad trade up to a synthetic rope. When you do you will need an aluminum Hawse Fairlead anyway. I also like the added bonus that a Hawse is much more compact and simple than a roller.

HTH,
B-loose

BTW, what kind of price are you getting on the M8000. I think the place I got mine from has them for $550 shipped. Price may have changed but if your paying more than that I'll check the name of the place and let you know.

B-loose

the magnum is assembeled in the US but is made of mostly chinese parts, there are some other companys you might want to cheack out like ramsey, which are made in the US or T-Max unfortunatly they are made in china but form what i understand it is a good factory and the company is based in austrailia, but just like everythin else it comes down to money, you can get a 8500 lb ramsey for 400 bucks with a lifetime warrenty

Bloose said:
Ummmm, the Magnum is a Warn. When I was checking out winches I e-mail Warn about their Magnum winches. Unlike the Milemarkers, which are made in China, the Magnums are made in the USA (very important to me). That being said the reason I went with the Warn is the lifetime warranty. The Magnum is either a 1yr or 2 yr I can't remember which. I think the lifetime warranty is worth the extra money. I wouldn't worry about the extra 1000lbs myself. I also wouldn't worry too much about the roller fairlead. When your winch cable starts to get bad trade up to a synthetic rope. When you do you will need an aluminum Hawse Fairlead anyway. I also like the added bonus that a Hawse is much more compact and simple than a roller.

HTH,
B-loose

Our Warn rep flat out admitted that the Magnum series is a POS...along with the 'Works' series. FWIW anyway. ;)

personaly, im going ramsey (when cash and a new bumper comes).

a lifetime waranty is a lifetime waranty to me... ill save 200 and still get the same product (the way i see it...)

I have a Warn 8000i and that's the only winch I have ever owned. I would say stick with the Warn or Ramsey, they are very proven brands. I vote for Warn. MileMarker isn't that bad either from what I hear, the Hummers use them (hydraulic variety). It basicly comes down to cost. Manu base their designs off of Warn and Ramsey, so your initial savings could easily be lost if the winch doesn't work, fit, etc etc.

catyrpelius said:
woot a ramsey 8.5e will run 400 bucks i think thats what i might get
if i could have found one for that price when i bought my MM9000 i definetly would have gotten that instead. lifetime warranty and having my name on my jeep too. the MM is a good winch though, just slow as...well very slow

Ramsey said:
if i could have found one for that price when i bought my MM9000 i definetly would have gotten that instead. lifetime warranty and having my name on my jeep too. the MM is a good winch though, just slow as...well very slow

Until you need something serviced and have to talk to Ramsey's 'customer service'. ;)

catyrpelius said:
the magnum is assembeled in the US but is made of mostly chinese parts, there are some other companys you might want to cheack out like ramsey, which are made in the US or T-Max unfortunatly they are made in china but form what i understand it is a good factory and the company is based in austrailia, but just like everythin else it comes down to money, you can get a 8500 lb ramsey for 400 bucks with a lifetime warrenty

The guy from Warn never mention that the Magunums were assembled here with Chinese parts :mad: . I was also skeptical of the T-maxx. Everyone kept telling me they were made in Austrailia and I kept thinking they were likely made in China and SOLD by an Austrailian company. I don't care how good the Chinese ones are, as long as I can get a high quality American made product I'll go American! :us: :us: :us:

B-loose

http://www.samsoffroad.com/samsoffroadsto/index.html

There is the link to the place I got mine. It looks like they went up $80 since I bought mine. I know I got in at the end of a special deal they had. OK looks to have them for $550 but make sure to check shipping on that. My Mom bought me a High Lift Jack there, the jack was $60 and the shipping was $50!!!

Still I think $580 for the Warn delivered isn't a bad deal.

B-loose

Back