• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33s or 35s?????

redyouch

NAXJA Forum User
i am in the market to buy some new tires/wheels. i have rear is lifted about 6.5" front is lifted about 5.5 currently, but i have 1" spacers i can put in the front. it is a 5 speed with 4.10s. i have looked up the gear ratio/final drive ratio, and with 33s it revs higher than stock and with 35s, it revs equal to stock. i am running stock flares, and a front sway bar. i dont think the rear is an issue. on the front however, i will cut the straight of the flair and body level with the lights. i have heard that moving the rear of the flair back 1-2" will also be necessary. i am just wondering some peoples experience in the similar situation. thanks

go 36s or get outta my way on the trail.

That being said I really liked my 33 swampers but they were about 34" tall too. got me everywhere a TJ with 35s could go.
DIG IT

if you trim 35's will go on easy. but with 4.10s its gonna be hurtin for more

i have no experience with that but from what i have heard, yeah. i run 31's and 4.56's auto and i know when i go to 33's i am gonna want more

thats charts arent worth the paper there wrote on, and oh wait there not wrote on paper

FWIW - I run a 5 speed with 33s and 4.10s. I would go a little lower gear for rock, but for me its great. I would go 33s, you start to break things real easy with 35s on stock axles.

Rev

35s with 4.10s?
Have a nice day, in my rear view mirror.
I run 4.88s with 33x10.5s and its about right.
Pulls the boat, idles slower than I walk, leaves patches at the lights, and will do 80 down the freeway vibe free.
HTH.

Last edited:
bgcntry72 said:
35s with 4.10s?
Have a nice day, in my rear view mirror.
I run 4.88s with 33x10.5s and its about right.
Pulls the boat, idles slower than I walk, leaves patches at the lights, and will do 80 down the freeway vibe free.
HTH.

I can verify the above claims....'cept the freeway one...it will do 80 in school zones, no vibes!

Rev

I am installing 5.13's with 36's(35 3/4" tall) and a ax-15. I would go lower at least 4.56's for 33's and at least 4.88's with 35's. If you are running 35's there is no reason to go 100+ on the freeway anyway.

I used to have a 5 speed, 4.10s, and 33s. It sucked, way too much clutch starting in 1st, and I only used 5th over 75mph. so you're going to want to re-gear either way. the other issue is axle strength; a D35 in the rear isn't ready to take either a 33 or 35, a D30 front I consider fine for 33s but very marginal with 35s.

BrettM said:
I used to have a 5 speed, 4.10s, and 33s. It sucked, way too much clutch starting in 1st, and I only used 5th over 75mph. so you're going to want to re-gear either way. the other issue is axle strength; a D35 in the rear isn't ready to take either a 33 or 35, a D30 front I consider fine for 33s but very marginal with 35s.
even wit alloy shaft with the 35's on a 30?

Ramsey said:
did he say he had ally shafts? and even then - the d35 housing flexes way to much... and dont talk about trussing - at that point with better shafts, trussing, gears... its cheaper to swap an 8.8 or d44...

Ramsey said:
yes, there's also hubs, brakes, steering, housing flex, R&P strength, etc that are all marginal for 35s on a D30.

if it's trail only, and reliablity isn't an issue for you, fine, run 35s on your 30. Personally, I wanted to run 35s and be confident that it will get me home from the trail and around town as a DD, and even ready for road-trips. Therefore I swapped a D44 front.

I am not questioning anyones opinion here, but. I run 35's on a 30 with 4.56 gears(lowest with 8.25 rear). Now I am not saying this is the best setup, but if you carry spares it will work ok. Now for the origanal question, I think 35s with 4.10 gears and a 5 speed are a bad combo. I run an auto, which is what I think makes my pos hold together. I just think the 5 speed would be too hard on the axle with the 4.10 gears. If it was me I would go with 33's. By the way, If you are not sure what size tires you need to run, then you probaly can get away with the 33s. I think if you needed the 35s you would be sure thats what you want. Good luck

BrettM said:
yes, there's also hubs, brakes, steering, housing flex, R&P strength, etc that are all marginal for 35s on a D30.

if it's trail only, and reliablity isn't an issue for you, fine, run 35s on your 30. Personally, I wanted to run 35s and be confident that it will get me home from the trail and around town as a DD, and even ready for road-trips. Therefore I swapped a D44 front.
was simply curious, 33's will be as big as i go on my 30

xj ranger i was talking aobut the d30 and jus doing a little hijacking not neccessarily specific ot him

but if you think you want 35s every time on the trail when you are trying to make it up something and dont you will say well if I just had 35s I would have made it. What brand of tires are you looking at? it makes a difference. Like my 33" swampers were almost the same size as 35" MTR's. DIG IT!

Back