• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

35" bfg on 8" wheel with 3.75" with as little lift as possible

gsmith

NAXJA Forum User
I would like to hear from an XJ owner running a 35 inch tire on 8 inch whhels with no more than 5 inches of lift. I am currently doing it with about 5.5-6" and want to be 4.5" lift max on my new one. I will cut bumpstop and do whatever to do it, I just want to hear from somebody who has so I can know its been done.

You are going to have to do some serious cutting on the front. The problem is that the opening is simply not wide enough from front to back to clear 35's that easy. Bump stops can keep you from putting the tire too far up, but cutting is the only option. I cut and put Bushwackers on along with a BPI bumper and the first time I tried a ramp to check the flex, the front wheel stuck between the bumper and the rear of the front fender well. Bang, there went a ujoint. I ended up cutting more, moving the front axle forward a inch or so and trimming the BPI bumper. I still need to trim the seam inside the fenderwell. I found it nice and polished after a few runs at Moab.

Dirk's XJ has 5" with 35" MT/R's on 15x8's with 3.25" BS. I have the same rims as Dirk with a hair over 6" and 37" MT/R's. It can be done, just have to bumpstop and trim, like you are already prepared to do. Check the tech section of my website for my articles on trimming and bumpstopping to help you out. Glad to see someone wanting to set up a stable XJ.

Here's my site: www.rocklizardfabrications.com/tech_articles.htm

Back