• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Front Links

C-ROK

NAXJA Forum User
I snapped my front link in half this past weekend. An ugly but effective trail repair got me home. Decided to make some new links.
The link was 2"x.250" DOM. Where it broke was right where there was a HAZ from the upper link weld, a drilled and tapped hole for the limit strap and a small drill and tap for a brake line clamp. 3 things all along a rough circumference of the tube. It had lasted 3 or 4 years like this under pretty good stress. In any case, the old are all gone now.

To do the repair; I had a small stub of 1.5"x.250" DOM that inserted into the 2". Some grinding and filing to get it to fit. Some come along, hammering and front wheel drive only to convince the busted link halves to rejoin. Then a whole bunch of 1/8" 7018 rod. All at 3:30AM - why do I hate night runs :D

For the new links, I went with a removeable upper. Easier to fab and now I have caster adjustment.
Old%20and%20New%20-%20side.JPG

Old%20and%20New%20top.JPG

For the new links, I used 1.50"x.250" DOM sleeved inside 1.75"x.120" EWS for the lowers and 1.50"x.250" DOM for the uppers.
With sleeving the lowers, I end up w/ almost 3/8" wall thickness.
I scalloped the end of the EWS so I wouldn't get a continuous stress riser around the DOM.
New%20Top.JPG

New%20Side.JPG

At the frame end I use a 1" threaded rod coupler. The coupler is butt welded to the DOM on the inside, then fillet and rosette to the EWS.
Threaded%20Coupler%20end.JPG

Last edited:
and finally installed:
Installed.JPG

Installed%20close.JPG

I think it's cool I finally figured out how to post pics. Too bad I have no clue how to re-size them :dunce:

Man, that was fast.

I like that you scalloped the sleeve, but did you rosette those ends too?

You'll have a much better experience with adjusting your caster now.

Much better than the old.

Okie Terry said:
I like that you scalloped the sleeve, but did you rosette those ends too?

I was going to do some rosettes along the length, but I just don't think it will add anything.
There is essentially no shear between the two pieces of tube and with only 0.005" of clearance, there's not much room for it to bend before they start working together any way.

For comparison, I've seen a hi-lift jack handle used to sleeve a tie rod and then remain in service for about 18 months with absolutely nothing tieing the two together.
It worked like a charm and kept the tie rod in check until the owner (not me) finally got around to replacing the tie rod and returning my jack handle.

BTW, I think he is now using a length of 3/4" pipe to take the place of my jack handle :looser:

Mark Hinkley said:
Are you going to chrome them or just polish with some clear coat?
Stinkley
I think a powder coat in "near chrome" with a hammer finish would mask the rock scars better actually.

but I'll probably stick with the au natural' for a year or two.....

Back