• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

[B]What pitfalls should I be ready for with my axle swap?[/B]

pokeyrugby

NAXJA Forum User
I'm switching in a D44 from a scoutII into my 1990 XJ - got spacers to make up for the wicth difference, what else should I be ready for? Drive shaft issues? Angle of Spring perches? Will a slip yoke make the drive shaft convert it easier? I don't want to have to get a whole new drive shaft. Any helpful info would be great - I'm a really green wheeler. Thanks, fellas

check out a few things (i really dont know all that much stuff about this particular swap, but these are the things i would look at)

brake lines - what fittings are needed on each end - cherokee and axle end.
E-brake - how does it work, can you convert the existing system?
is the bolt pattern on your spacers 5x4.5?
obivously spring perches being cut off and welded on
Adaptor to match the drvieshaft - give http://www.DC4WD.com a call, they seem to have the best prices on things and are advertsing a HD SYE for 170 and if you are planing a lift or have any need for an sye eventualy, a new driveshaft with both ends that you might need someday would be worthwile to only buy once...

good luck, take pics, ask questions, make a write up when your done so others can copy your work!

good times
-XJ_Ranger

Back