• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power window help

big cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
well i just put my doors back on plugged in the wires to the windows and guess what the windows dont move a inch. i was wondering were the relays for the windows are found. its a 89 cherokee larado. i need to check them first because i heard they go bad. also vefore i removed the doors the window went up and dow very slowly. help please

thanks
ryan

100% true- over time, the relays slowly go bad.
If I remember correctly from my days of installing car alarms, the `87-91 renix era relays for the power door lock/windows is in the right kick panel/passenger side floor. Should be two black ones, and I *think* the rearward one was power lock- that leaves the one close`st to the door for windows.

The brains foggy over the years- double check.

Ed->

thats exactly what i was thinking it was i saw those two realays and pulled one and the locks stoped working and i think the other is locked up from weather (no trim in the jeep) thanks for the help hopfully it will fix the problem.

There arn´t any relays (for the windows) in the early, XJ. There is a circuit breaker in the fuse block, for the windows. Windows share a ground with the instrument lights and other things.
Is it just the one window or all windows? Is the window trying to move?
Common problems are, the rubber in the window rails is twisted up (glue comes loose), jamming the window. The motor drivin drive cable (the cable that pushes and pulls the window up and down) is twisted up inside the door, the rubber end (extension) of the cable guide/rail falls off a lot, drive cable gets kinked up in the bottom of the door. The wires are broken inside the insulation right near the connector for the window motor (window usually only works in one direction).
Greasing the drive cable (they rust), cleaning and lubricating the window guides (silicon spray) and making sure the wiring is in order, is much of the normal trouble with the window motors (besides them being a marginal design). Sometimes the cable gets chewed up by the drive motor gear in one spot, usually when the window is all the way down.
The back side of the drive cable guide/rail is open, pushing some grease in the slot with your fingers every year or so, really helps them last longer. As does removing the rubber bottom part of the drive cable guide/rail and greasing the exposed cable with the window down. Use a zip tie to hold the rubber tubing (guide) to the bottom of the metal part of the cable guide/rail.

One other thing to check, which caused me some grief for a few rainy days with my driver's side window halfway down... pull the circuit breaker out and make sure the contacts aren't all corroded like mine were. All four windows just stopped working magically one day with one halfway down. The contacts on the circuit breaker were just corroded, scratched the gunk off with a knife and all was fine, windows work great now.

Back