• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas Tank same between 91+96?

Yucca-Man

NAXJA Member # 683
My '96 gas tank has a few gallons of dents in it, and I have an opportunity to get a clean '91 tank...how interchangeable are they? Both are 4.0L HO

Yucca-Man said:
My '96 gas tank has a few gallons of dents in it, and I have an opportunity to get a clean '91 tank...how interchangeable are they? Both are 4.0L HO

Yucca your fuel pump according to interchange information is 96 only, and you should have a plastic tank.

Tank interchange is 94-6 due to plastic. I don't think your fuel pump will fit into an earlyer model. Is yours metal???

Hmmm...it's listed as "undamaged tank w/sending unit" and I know there's a Ford fuel pump that can be wired in (I'll search and find it again if needed) but wasn't sure if I should grab this tank...I'd like to be able to use more than 12.5 gallons to fill the tank...

Yucca-Man said:
Hmmm...it's listed as "undamaged tank w/sending unit" and I know there's a Ford fuel pump that can be wired in (I'll search and find it again if needed) but wasn't sure if I should grab this tank...I'd like to be able to use more than 12.5 gallons to fill the tank...

mitchell says it will work, other source is off I guess. Fuel pump installation should be the main concern.

Wouldn't be the first time the info I have is wrong. Seems like your good to go.

red91inWA said:
Yucca your fuel pump according to interchange information is 96 only, and you should have a plastic tank.

Tank interchange is 94-6 due to plastic. I don't think your fuel pump will fit into an earlyer model. Is yours metal???

Red, I think you have your year info wrong. The 96 still has the steel tank which is common to the earlier models. My son just bought a 96. It has a nice new shiny metal tank, just like the old rusty shabby patched metal tank in my 95. Unless the tank design changed partway through the 96 model year, a 91 tank should work just fine in a 96.

A crazy buddy of mine made a special gas cap with an air compressor connector on it once. He then proceeded to pump the tank with air until the dents popped out. Scary huh????

old_man said:
A crazy buddy of mine made a special gas cap with an air compressor connector on it once. He then proceeded to pump the tank with air until the dents popped out. Scary huh????
Better than trying to weld on studs for a dent puller :wow:

Hey, I thought about using my pin welder. :lecture:

old_man said:

I've seen that done before, and it works for a tank that's just oilcanned, but for corner dents and the like I'd worry about cracking.

I also can tell you from personal experience that if you undent or replace a tank that has been dented where the fuel pickup is, and don't rebend the pickup, you can run out of gas with a lot of gas in the tank. You know, it's really just about impossible to push an F150 pickup uphill and steer around a corner at the same time, in the dark... :tears:

I think I'll just go with the replacement tank and avoid the compressor fitting, thanks ;)

Back