• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedometer Issue

yardape

NAXJA Member #272
I have a '94 XJ Sport with manual tranny and NP231. Recently the speedometer has been acting irratically. By that I mean it surges quickly to faster speeds even though the tachometer remains rock solid. The speedo gear has been replaced to no avail. Any thoughts? TIA J.

I don't recall if the Vehicle Speed Sensor was on the '94 or if it came out in '95, but it certainly sounds like the VSS or its wiring connection is failing. Happened on my '96 and it's exactly as described

on mine it was the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) and my cruse wouldnt work either...

might look into that - Napa quoted me 33.50 for a new one on a 92 4.0 ax-15 231 cherokee

I was starting to surmise that it was the VSS. Thanks guys and thanks for the info on where to buy it. I would've assumed it was strictly a dealer part. Is the Vehicle Speed Sensor the part that clamps to the T-case with the wires coming out of it and holds the speedo gear in place or is it located somewhere else?

Yes that's it. I nailed it. Thanks again!

Back