• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FRont End NOISE

summit56

NAXJA Forum User
I searched through and found all types of nioses except for mine. i just lifted the jeep and did some wheeling in it and now enver it is in 4x4 there is a noise from the front at high speeds. i took the driveline out of the front and noise is gone. as long as i go slow there is no noise. is is a popping clunk sound.

define high speeds in 4wd - 4 low is built to go 25mph at max (with stock drivetrain)

and my jeep made funny noises all day long at stock height in 4 hi... tires slip because they have to in turns

give us some more specifics - like 242/231, type and height of lift and components of lift that you put on.

is everything tight? did you torq them with a torq wrench or just guess at the torq? loose LCA's will click a lot...:exclamati

please be more specific as said. what did it sound like? did it change pitch with speed? was it worse in accel or decel?
my first guess is either a driveshaft u-joint or vibration.
summit56 said:
I searched through and found all types of nioses except for mine. i just lifted the jeep and did some wheeling in it and now enver it is in 4x4 there is a noise from the front at high speeds. i took the driveline out of the front and noise is gone. as long as i go slow there is no noise. is is a popping clunk sound.

it has a 98 231 transfer case with re sye. dodge dokota leafs w/2inch blocks. front has 150 coils stretched, rough county fixed lcarms, rustys ajustable uppers, rocky mountain adj. track bar. has new u joints on both drivelines and replaced both front axle u-joints. by high speeds i mean any speed in 4th or 5th... i have no speedo... I'd guess around 40mph and above. drives fine in 2wd. does fine in 4wd goin up hills taking off fast just not at highway speeds.

how about a description of the noise. high pitch, low pitch, rumble, rattle, clunk, clank, buzz, humm, squeal, squawk??? are the any feelings associated with it like a vibration?

check your front pinion angle, sounds like your pinion is rotated to far up or down. it should be parrallel with the driveshaft. try adjusting your UCA's.
summit56 said:
it has a 98 231 transfer case with re sye. dodge dokota leafs w/2inch blocks. front has 150 coils stretched, rough county fixed lcarms, rustys ajustable uppers, rocky mountain adj. track bar. has new u joints on both drivelines and replaced both front axle u-joints. by high speeds i mean any speed in 4th or 5th... i have no speedo... I'd guess around 40mph and above. drives fine in 2wd. does fine in 4wd goin up hills taking off fast just not at highway speeds.

the noise is junk a loud clunk that shakes the whole jeep it is getting worse. the pinion is pointed strait to the transfer case. when the clunk happens i can feel the tranny move forward when i have my hand on the shifter. it doesnt happen consistantly just like..clunk..clunk.................clunk sometimes it doesnt happen for 30 seconds or so.

Just wondering WHY you're driving in 4WD at highway speeds. I realize you're in Alaska. But is the highway covered in snow? Or is it dry?

the highway is covered with ice. got dumped w/ snow wendsday and now the temps dropped to below 0.

OK then, with the front shaft out and the jeep in park. how much rotational play does the front t-case output yoke have?

pulled the driveshaft off again. there is about 1/4 inch of play. the noise is getting worse. starts popping in 2nd gear to 5th gear now

you mean it starts popping without the driveshaft?

No, pops w/ driveshaft in. i parked up against a tree and let the tires spin and then it popped and the front tires stop spinning and the driveshaft still spins. ? i checked the ring and pinion gears and they look good.

what year is your jeep? does it have a front disconnect axle?

Back