• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is this 8 inches of lift?

xxXjxx

NAXJA Forum User
while searching through the local pick-a-part i came accrossed a ford f150 with some red lifted coil springs, probably rancho, and $15 later i had my junkyard lift coils.
after throwing em in and measuring according to the methods i found by searching threads, i found that they seem to have lifted me 6-7" netting me 8-9" total with my spacer installed. but it doesnt look like 8 inches to me for some reason, am i just tripping out?

http://xxxjxx.tripod.com/86xj/index.album?i=0&s=1
http://xxxjxx.tripod.com/86xj/index.album?i=1&s=1
http://xxxjxx.tripod.com/86xj/index.album?i=2&s=1

its a 86 xj, 2.5 4 cyl, np207, d30/d35, 32" on 16" rims, 4" lift in rear w/ junkyard springs

who cares it was only 15$

ya i know, $15 is what i spent at carl jr yesterday for me and my friend, andi m sure someone will say how rough those springs are goin to ride and how they wont flex, but hey im just getting this project going, i was hoping they would give me 3 or 4 inches of lift but 8 or 9! i wasnt prepared, now i have to work out control arms, fab some drop brackets, brake lines, sway bar links, some more rear lift, shocks, and a whole slew of other crap!

dont forget sye and driveshaft and of course gears to push hte bigger tires you can now clear

im gonna see if it even needs a sye, cause the yoke isnt pulled out very much, i dont know if thats because of the rear lift is about half of the front but eh. and the u joint angles look suprisingly good since i dropped the t case, i might buy gears for the d30, im prob gonna grab a d44 from the pick a part and then get gears for that and have the front and rear installed. its got 4:10s right now i imagine i can sell those on here, i want the lowest gear possible though cause that 2.5 blows, my dad works for cadilliac and a 4.9 fuel injected v-8 will practically bolt right in! i have a 92 eldorado with the 4.5 v8 if i get tired of that thing i might swap the engines and sell the caddy with the 2.5 in it

xxXjxx said:
m sure someone will say how rough those springs are goin to ride and how they wont flex, but hey im just getting this project going...

Post over on JU or wait long enough here and I'm sure several people who think they know it all will chime in with how this is not going to work, not going to ride well and not going to flex.

Kevin

xxXjxx said:
ya i know, $15 is what i spent at carl jr yesterday for me and my friend, andi m sure someone will say how rough those springs are goin to ride and how they wont flex, but hey im just getting this project going, i was hoping they would give me 3 or 4 inches of lift but 8 or 9! i wasnt prepared, now i have to work out control arms, fab some drop brackets, brake lines, sway bar links, some more rear lift, shocks, and a whole slew of other crap!

Yeah, id say thats 8" easy, looks about like mine...just a thought, if you werent prepared to go that high, and dont want to get all the accessories to run it right (read: LAs or DBs, brake lines, proper rear lift, shocks, SYE, driveshaft, etc.) you can always just sell the 15$ coils, probably for 50$ or more (go to JU and tell them that theyre 8" skyjacker XJ coils or something, they love those things over there) and get some good 4-5" coils or whatever you were aiming for. theyre always for sale...hell, i probably have a set laying around somewhere. just a thought...

oh, and tell us more about that 4.9!
-Bennett

JeepTherapy said:
Post over on JU or wait long enough here and I'm sure several people who think they know it all will chime in with how this is not going to work, not going to ride well and not going to flex.

Kevin
wow just rag on JU like that - there are some intlegent people over there you know - sometimes more intelegent than here i have found... that post iw worthless...

not that im not happy with the coils, heck im stoked on em' but i just didnt expect to get so much lift out of em, so i have to work around em', i know that if they only had given me 4 or 5 inches id still want 6 or 7 or 8 inches later, so im just gonna jump to the top, i know how to do it ive been reading up on cherokees non stop for a few years now and i know everything about what i need to do i just need the cash now

XJ_ranger said:
wow just rag on JU like that - there are some intlegent people over there you know - sometimes more intelegent than here i have found... that post iw worthless...

Wow... Someone sticking up for JU...

Now THAT post is worthless
scouse_keyboard.jpg

BennettXJ said:
oh, and tell us more about that 4.9!
-Bennett

ya, late 80's early 90's cadilliacs engines bolt up the same as the 2.5L or the 2.8, its a direct swap the same as if you would have done a 3.4 or 4.7 vortec or something like that. my caddy hauls serious anus and its really heavy, it has no problem crusin down the highway at 120 and thats just the 4.5 so imagine that motor in a jeep! theres a guy on car domain who through one of these motors in his jeep, and it turned out great.

Back