• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

electrical issues?

el minator

NAXJA Forum User
today, i noticed that my radio, wipers and air remain functioning after shutting off the vehicle. any idea what could be causing that?

thanks in advance!

I`d guess ignition box-
your keyswitch hits a rod that go`s down the column to a box- its about where your right foot points on top of the lower column when sitting, and screws to the column itself-- the rod slides the contacts in the box up and down provideing juice to stuff- acc/off/run/start-- yours could either be out of adjustment, or getting ready to go bad.....mine always go bad--- no start condition. cheap part....the BLUE wire always melts, because I like lots of toys running off the acc.

try wiggleing the key first-- then do a search on "ignition boxes" and such--
if you have to replace, theres 2 versions, get the right one. :)

Yes, sounds like a bad ignition switch, not a back lock cylinder. I replaced the switch on my 88 XJ 18 months ago. You need to find a friend who done a GM ignition switch before to be there for moral support. Also go to sears and pick up a set of Metric "igniition wrenches" they run less than $15 for a set, they are very short wrenches which allow you to get to the bolts. The ignition switch runs 10 to 15 bucks, I stalled a borg-warner, I'd also feel good with an AC/Delco... for the price I'd go with only those brands.

You will have to remove the dimmer switch to change the ignition switch, then reinstall both. It up to you if you want to change the dimmer switch, but 2 weeks after I changed my ignition switch the head light switch went out. I changed it and in the past month I changed it again with a head light switch from the dealer. You will have the dash apart, not much more effort to change the head light switch. I paid $35 for the dealer head light switch, I'll pay that for a switch that lasts 15 years...

Back