• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Deep Creek Bridge?

Bent

Only Marble Sharp
NAXJA Member
Ed,
You may know something about this. I was up on 3n34 this weekend at deep creek and it was posted that the road(?) was going to be closed May 19 through July 19. There was a Ranger there that I asked about this and he said that he wasn't sure what was going to be done there. I was thinking that it wouldn't take two months to replace the "tiles" in the stream bed. But if they were to put a bridge over the stream that they may do away with the "gravel" on the far side. I seemed to get the impression that the run was going to remain open afterwards. Heard anything?

The following message is an edited copy of a notice regarding a scheduled temporary closure of the T6 crossing of Deep Creek (3N34) in the SBNF.

This improvement work of the T6 crossing is intended to satisfy the objections of anti-motorized and anti-access organizations who believe vehicle crossings at the T6 crossing have a negative impact on the riparian (river) habitat. The intent is to minimize the release of soil into the creek by vehicles crossing the creek (to protect German Brown Trout).

A parallel reason for this work is complaints regarding the irregular bottom of the existing rock embedded concrete unseating motorcycle riders when the try to cross the creek. This work will make the crossing less dangerous for motorcycle riders.

The OHV and 4X4 community will be well served if we honor the closure and allow the USFS to complete this improvement work unmolested. The work is intended to benefit recreation with continued motorized access through Deep Creek as the long term goal (and is preferred to a bridge, one of the other debated options).

Let your local clubs know about this closure, why it is a benefit, and the schedule dates (run Deep Creek before 5/19 or after 7/30 (and be flexible with the completion schedule, it's government work ;) and they expect two months duration).

Happy Trails!
Ed A. Stevens
[email protected]

==============================
----- Forwarded by Robin Eliason/R5/USDAFS
To: Allison L Stewart/R5/USDAFS
Subject: T-6 Crossing

The contractor, Southwest Construction, is scheduled to start construction
of the T-6 Crossing on May 19. The road will be closed for approximately 2
months.

The project includes construction of two 20' wide open bottom,
concrete box culverts with a common wall between so that the stream bottom
remains nearly unimpeded. The concept is similar to open bottom arch
crossings we have constructed in the last few years on Hooks Creek Road at
Hooks Creek, Daley Truck Trail at West Fork of City Creek, and West Fork
Cucamonga Truck Trail at Cucamonga Creek. The embankment will be encased
in concrete with grouted stone on the slopes. Footings will extend 5'
below existing creek bed to provide for scour protection. Top of the
crossing will be concrete, 12' wide between curbs.

Expect posted advisory signs at beginning of Hooks
Creek Road, 2N26Y, where it leaves the County Road, at intersection of 3N34
with Hooks Creek Road, at intersection of 3N16 with Green Valley Lake Road,
and at the intersection of 3N34 with 3N16 at Crab Flats Campground.

Please forward this message to all who need to know, including any
announcement that may need to be published in local newspapers.

Last edited:
Bridge??

Isn't a box culvert basically a bridge? Kinda like the attached picture. I am sure the exiting rock garden will be "cleaned" up for construction. What a bummer, but at least there is some trail left for now. What are the chances of them "planting" some rocks? :)

Capisic-3_small.jpg

It would sure help cut down on the # of people making an "unauthorized" Cul de sac a little ways up when they find out that the rock garden was just the begining. I christened my Hi-Lift on that run, tow strap-jack-tree strap and 45 min. later I was on my way. But back to the point. The Forrest Servise would frown on such a turn around, so wouldn't be in there (our) best interest to reseed the garden?
BTW, I thought the rock garden was on the enterance. I've been running it the wrong way? I hate when that happens!

Wrong Way

Wrong way?? Maybe I was going the wrong way, I have not ran the entire trial yet and was told I was at the beginning.? Had a lot of YJ's blocking the trail out of the creek on my lucky day.

Joe

A heads up on another paving and road closure in the SBNF.

2N01 is located off of Highway 38 in Big Bear. Located between Lake
Williams and Onyx Summit. The road that leads directly into the Rose Mine
Valley.

Happy Trails!
Ed A. Stevens
[email protected]

============
Subject: Paving 2N01

The SBNF just signed the notice to proceed for paving 275 feet of 2N01 from
state highway 38 east. The contractor will begin work on June 9th and has
5 days to complete the work. The road will be closed to thru traffic
during construction. Please inform your staffs and the public as needed.
Thanks

Dave Relph, Forest Road Manager
San Bernardino National Forest

The most recent update for T6 at Deep Creek:

==================================

As you
know, the Forest Service was required by U.S Fish and Wildlife to mitigate
this water crossing or close the road. Simply put, the original crossing
was kicking up enough sediment that the ponds below the crossing were
getting more shallow. Whenever a stream loses it's water holding capacity,
not only do the fish lose out on the deep cool ponds, but, in the hot dry
months of summer, these less shallow ponds can dry up completely. Anyhow,
the construction will be completed no later than July 19th (probably
sooner) and the road will be reopened in it's entirety. I have been given
the privilege of being on site when the rocks are placed on the east side
of Deep Creek. If anyone is interested in giving me input on what design
features should be in this rock garden, please let me know. These rocks
will be placed by heavy equipment (on a weekday). If you'd like to join me
at the crossing when the rocks are being put in place, again, let me know.
One additional thought, during heavy use periods, the motorcycle traffic
slows down the 4x4's attempting to negotiate the rock garden. I think we
should provide a bypass so the motorcycles can get through the crossing
more quickly and possibly reduce the conflicts between users. Just some
food for thought. What do you think?

Greg Hoffman
Forest Service Liaison
OHV Volunteer/Adopt-a-trail Programs

The MC bypass is a good idea, and I'm really glad to here that the rock garden is getting the consideration it is. BTW why do they call it a t6?

The rocks will begin moving on Thusrday:

<At 0900 on Thursday, June 26th we'll start placing the rock on the east side of Deep Creek. Anyone interested, come on out! >

The AAT Club will be in attendance (and Frank Hayes knows more than enough about rock gardens :) to assist).

T6 is a USFS identifier designation, one that used to be posted with a triangle sign at the crossing. I'll have to ask about the history behind the designation.

<<<<

Just an update on the progress. It looks like it will be finished about 2 weeks ahead of schedule. Steve Bass, myself, and 3 Dirt Devils met Ranger Greg Hoffman there this morning with the purpose of recreating a rock garden. It is not nor could it be as it was before. The approach apron from both ends is long and ends past where the rocks were. Now the open area on the left after crossing from the Arrowhead side is now open to parking and 2 wheel drives can get there easy. Right after the left turn for the parking where the road narrows we buried several 5 or 6 ton boulders which after the next rains and the loose dirt gets washed out will be a good challenge. A number of large boulders were half buried along the route and when you get almost to the left turn to the ledges we buried a bunch of large boulders and drug in smaller ones while rolling many off the cliff into the road. It is a good obstacle and hopefully it will remain in good shape. Many of the buried rocks are 3 to 4 feet in diameter in holes 12 to 18 inches deep making them not easy to roll out.

Frank Hayes KE6RDG OHV-37V

President Orange County 4-Play

Hayes Ent. custom Jeep work

http://hayesentjeep.com

>>>>

An update to let you know they are not paving the entire route.

I think that I'm begining to feel a Flu bug coming on. Might have to miss a day of work in a couple of weeks.

Thanks Ed, that sounds like some really good news!

But this time I'm going to try and not have the Flu alone! LOL

party1:

Back