• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HO fuel rail w/ 87 injectors on a 97 intake?

Abner

NAXJA Forum User
Here is my senario
I have a 97 motor i plan to put in an 87. My current hang up is if i keep the 97 intake i will need to address the fuel rail or get a tank and pump from a 97 (don't want to go that route, for now). My question is if i could use a HO (91-95) fuel rail, and 87 injectors? Will the vacume regulator on the HO fuel rail give me the right injector pressure, and will the HO rail bolt to the 97 intake? Another option i have considered is grafting the 97 mounts onto the 87 fuel rail. Has anybody tried this, and if so what was the outcome.
I have also heard that the newer injector run on a different voltage then the olders, so i have nixed using the newer injectors. TIA

the 87 fuel rail will not bolt to the 97 manifold. i would just keep the 97 rail and vacuum fuel pressure regulator and the 87 injectors. that should work.

The combination of '91-'95 fuel rail and '87 injectors WILL work and the regulator is also 39psi, but I'm not sure if the '91-'95 fuel rail bolts to the '97 manifold. I suspect that the answer is yes in which case, that'll solve your problem.

A 91-95 fuel rail WILL bolt onto the 97 intake without any problems (speaking from experience, as this is what I'm currently running).

The newer style injectors run at the same voltage (5v) and Ohms (Between 14-18) as the older style injectors, at least as early as 91.
I'm not sure about 87 though. In fact, I didn't know models that early even had the fuel injection setup.

You can also use the newer style injector in at least a 91, but you'll have to replace the injector connectors with the newer style, or you can try to alter the original connectors to fit the new style. (I ended up buying replacement pig-tail connectors on Ebay for a few bucks a piece.)

Again, this all applies to 91-95, but I'm not 100% sure about anything older.

Back