• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie Question for guys on 38's

paul_xj04

NAXJA Forum User
i want to run 38.5x14x15 SX's and i need to know how much lift do you guys have to clear them. im on 36's with 8" lift.

POST SOME PICS WITH THEM ON!!

thanx guys
Paul

If you are running 8" of lift and 36's you should not be a newbie and it should be farely clear what you need to do. What axles are you running (hopefully not stock)? How much trimming do you have? What gears are you running? I run 36's on 7" of lift and I am dropping down to 5" this weekend. Just cut more. Not many people run 38's and I don't really see the need to but, if you are set up properly for your current 36's it should be really simple. I could easily run a 40" tire now if I extended my bumpstops. I would say 8" is plenty.

i have 44 and 9" axles in it. i tuck 36's without them even coming closer to the fenders. didnt trim them either. im gonna be running 5:13 gears real soon.

would i need to add a spacer or anything.

Did you narrow the axles? I run the same axle and there is no possible way I could have tucked them behind stock flares. If you wheel at all you need to trim your fenders or you will destroy them and your tires. I contact my tj flares with my tires constantly. What bacspacing do you have on your wheels? I have a hard time believing you need 38's if you haven't trimmed your fenders because that hints that you don't wheel. Stick with some 35" all-terrains. If you really want to run the 38's, just bust out the sawsall.

Here is my rig with 36's and 7" of lift.
full_5095_p233094.jpg

dellstopjeep said:
why are you going down 2 inches, it looks like you will have a hard time clearing 36's then.
Not really, it was about an inch lower in that pic, because of coil bow and I when you run 10psi on the trail I have enough room. I am doing it mainly to hopefully gain better visibility of whats in front of me. I am going to hack a little more in the front also. Plus the tallest 10.50 tire I can find is 33" and I need to run something narrow for the snow.

no i wheel it, but when im at full flex my tire is no where near the fender. i have a clean 1in. between edge of tire and fender. the top of my tire is nearly level with the bottem of my body. no my axles arnt narrowed there full width (68" i believe). when i have the rear end back in ill take a pic of it at full flex.
PS: i have stock ford rims that have no backspacing on them

i have a pic on my folder that i want to show you guys, anyway i can post it?

my jeep is pretty tall and when its flexed out the spring is fully compressed which limited it from it touching the tire. the spring cups on the axle that i made is about 1.5-2" on top of the axle. plus i have like a 3/4 spacer in it. so it was pointless to trim my fenders if i didnt need to. all i did trim was alittle bit near the front of the fender.

Yeah I have mounts that give my 2" and a 1 3/4" spacer, you still have a springs that will compress a lot. Are you saying that you don't have enough uptravel to hit the stock flares? I thought you were waying you tucked them into the stock wheel wells. There is something wrong with your suspension design or components if you are that limited. Are you running the radius arms with the ford style frame attatchment? That would explain absolutely horrible travel.

CW said:
Not really, it was about an inch lower in that pic, because of coil bow and I when you run 10psi on the trail I have enough room. I am doing it mainly to hopefully gain better visibility of whats in front of me. I am going to hack a little more in the front also. Plus the tallest 10.50 tire I can find is 33" and I need to run something narrow for the snow.
Swamper Q78!!!!!! it's like a 36x10.50!

im not running radius arms i built a 3link. the springs im using are brand new and i havent really broke them in yet. i just finished the front end last month and flexed it out on a 6ft ramp and went to the top and i could still keep going.

i might stick with the 36-37 range till i move onto coilovers

BrettM said:
Swamper Q78!!!!!! it's like a 36x10.50!
Now you have my attention. i never noticed that size before. Now If I could justify the same tire I run the rest of the year but 2" narrower. I don't know about a swamper on a snowy road though.

Last edited:
If you want to run bigger tires, try to get a lower COG...
Did you not see the MOAB threads and what happens with a too-tall unflexing rig?

well before i had to put the front tires on, i took my cousins 38x12.5 TSL's and put them on and i thought that they would fit perfect. i can always bumpstop the control arms from limiting the tires to hit the fenders.

keep posting pix of rigs with 38's. even poser shot would work better.

How can you guys afford to buy '97+ XJ's and do that stuff to em? I mean take them out for your trail rig? I can't even afford my 95 lol. Anyway, nice xj, love the color...same as mine.

Back