• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to Replace Heater Core?

Sweden

NAXJA Forum User
Hello.
I think my heater core is broken there are dripping antifreeze on the floor on the passenger side.

Is it easy to replace? What should I think of before I start?

Has the A/C hose anything to do with the operation? Can it be anything else that is broken? I can smell/feel the antifreeze in the liquid on the floor.

Sorry about the bad english language, I´m from Sweden. my cherokee is from 1991
Thanks / jesper

Sounds like you do have a leaking heater core.
How easy it is to replace will depend a lot on how familiar you are with how the system works and goes together. Do you by chance have a service manual for reference? It took me about half a day to do mine following the steps out of a Haynes repair manual
The A/C sytem does not have anything to do with the operation of the heater core but you will need to unhook the A/C lines to get to the heater core and get it out. This means you will need to take it to a shop and have the refrigerant recovered beforehand.
The dash does not need to be removed but it does need to be unbolted and tilted up in order to get the heater core housing out.
Does this still sound like something you want to do yourself?

Back