• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will rear XJ flares fit an MJ?

Nope.

The rear wheel arches on the MJ are both wider and higher than on the XJ.

If you can wait a month or so I know a company that will have them available.

I beleive the rear wheelwells are bigger in the MJ I will have to measure both of them and get back to you..

CW said:
I thought 2door flares were the same as mj flares.:dunno:
Nope. I have a pair of rear quarters I chopped out of a 2-door XJ with the idea of replacing the butchered wheel arches on my MJ. The XJ flares are the same, whether 2-door or 4-door, and they are smaller than MJ rear flares both horizontally and vertically.

Maybe I'm smokin' crack, but I thought I heard someone say that XJ front flares fit MJ rear wheelwells. (???) I was in the junkyard a couple of weeks ago and measured a couple different XJ's, both front and rear flares. Can't recall the exact numbers, but the fronts were definately bigger than the rears by at least an inch, maybe two. But, there weren't any MJ's there to compare with, and mine's too far away from me to measure :(
Jeff

I never considered trying fronts on the rear of an MJ. The upper portion and the trailing corner might work, but the forward corner is totally different because in the front the flares wrap under the bumper to mate up with the air dam. It might be possible to make something quasi-servicable, but it would not be a direct replacement.

Last edited:
Good point, there. But considering the lack of MJ's there seems to be in parts, you could probably redneck somethin' up. Maybe cut off the forward edge, heat it to make it pliable and bend it under the rocker area, and pin it down with some hardware. Wouldn't be exact, but I bet it would work...

Gonna post this in For Sale but, since the subject came up, the brother of a guy who runs a local Jeep shop just totaled his '88 MJ shortbed. He cracked the front subframe and they decided it's not repairable so he's dumping it.

They just pulled the engine and drive train, but the cab, bed, interior and axles all go. Bed it straight and generally solid, with a little rust starting to show just above the flares (where they all start to rust). Flares are there, plus a bunch of other parts. It has a new windshield and a new rear slider window. He's asking $300 for the whole thing, and it's gotta be worth twice that in parts.

If interested, call Paul at 203-393-2481 (home) or 203-687-1800 (cell).

Back