• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new oil presure sender

bzdel2441

NAXJA Forum User
i bought a new oil pressure and it looks completly differant than my old one. Ibefore I take out the old one and possibly break it I want to know if you think this one will work.
site1030.JPG

Thanks
Chirs

Yup, that's the correct one. Just a slightly different design. Don't forget to teflon tape the threads.

Teflon tape is an insulator. If you use a sealer, you should use one designed for electrical senders, so the sender can complete the circuit to the block.

I've never had a problem getting continuity to the block, but I can see your point. I'm an electrical enginner, I should have thought of that. It's just that senders are notorious for leaking. Maybe I torque them down enough to cause the teflon to be penetrated.

Nice catch.

Use one wrap of teflon. The threads will cut through it enough to make contact.

That, or I usually use RTV Copper. You don't need to tighten too much - go finger tight and maybe 1/2-3/4 turn after that.

Interesting that you are getting are getting a old-style sender to replace a new-style one. I'd sooner have the all-metal dingus than the half-metal half-plastic one...

5-90

here is what my brand new one looks like - it works

f2bdk

- OPS140 - Switch Oil Pressure (GP/Sorensen Brand) $25.49

this works on a 92 XJ 4.0L HO, AX-15, 231 (im sure the t-case and tranny dont matter, just thought id tell you what im runnin to let you know what works on what vehicle)

good times

Last edited:
I replaced mine awhile back. I had to go back to the parts store three times. I have 96 and the oil pressure sending unit ended up being for a 97. We had to pull the different ones and physically match them up

so i just installed it and it was a tight fit i had to bend the oil dip stick pipe some because this thing was so long. i used 1 wrap of teflon tape for it to. i havent tested it out yet because my gauges are still out for the glow gauge install...

so you say this is the older style?? its the only kind they had?? is this older style any good?

It's very similar to the original sender that was on my '88, and appears identical to the replacement sender I recently bought from Auto Zone. A couple or three years back I replaced my original with a new Jeep sender, which was very different from the original. Looked sort of like a truncated cigar with a wire connector on the end. First one I bought was DOA and the parts mager took it back with no questions asked ... he admitted that's a frequent occurence. That's why I bought Auto Zone this time around.

Back