• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"Part Time" Light

What year/t-case? The final version of the axle disconnect used with the 231 (like on my 91) used a switch on the disco to activate the light. The wires coming from it are fairly exposed and I managed to rip them both off, no more light. If you have a later model with a disco axle you might want to take a peek at it. On this version their will be two wires coming from the opposite side of the disconnect from the vacumn cannister, see if they are still attached. Earlier disco's just had three vacumn lines and no wires.

Tony

Its a 98.
Not sure what transfer case is in it. Its a 98 Cherokee Sport with Auto trans.
I Don't think its the fancy T-case. Just the basic one that was used.
How do I find out which T-case is in it?
Thanks.

My 92 has the auto/231 combo and I have the same problem. I ripped apart the dash and swapped the bulb and the part-time light still doesn't work.

If the earlier axles only had vacuum lines, how would the light be activated?

alldz said:
My 92 has the auto/231 combo and I have the same problem. I ripped apart the dash and swapped the bulb and the part-time light still doesn't work.

From what I've seen on our two disco equipped XJ's ('87 and '91) The 91 has 2 vacumn lines and 2 wires. The 87 has 3 vacumn lines, I haven't looked closely into it but I assume that the third vacumn line runs to a vacumn switch which activates the light. This sound right to anyone? Regardless your '92 should have the same 2 line/2 wire setup as my '91. My wires broke off where they enter the switch on the left side of the disconnect.

Tony

alldz said:

I had this problem a couple of years ago. In my case, I was already taking it to the dealer next door to where I worked (great convenience) for an oil change, so I had them look into it.

Turns out that there was a vacuum switch on the tcase that controls the light. Once replaced, my part-time light came back on. It's my understanding that this switch is on all tcases (at least the 231s and 242s).

HTH,

Rob

Back