• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's Gas Tank Skid

i have the factory gas tank skid and am very happy with it.

The rusty's engine tranny skid and t-case skid work great as jack points - if your jack cant get to your "frame" rails anymore... id assume their gas skid is the same quality

Rusty's sells two versions, one for the '96 and older and one for '97 and newer XJs. They're made from 3/16" steel and mount directly to the unibody (some skids attach to the straps that hold the gas tank to the unibody). Since ours bolt right to the unibody they can easily be used as a jack point, just be cautious, I'd be a bit leary of jacking at an angle since the skids are smooth and might slip on the jack.

-Stretch

RustysOffroad.com

Was it tough to put on? My Rusty's just came in today, but there wasn't ne installation instructionnns, it seems pretty simple, did you have ne problems while putting yours in?

the stock cherokee's with the nut strips (having a rear tow hook, stock skid plate, or reciever package) would be much easier to do this on. Otherwise you have to fish nuts through the frame.

To install it, if you have a reciever or tow hook:
the sikd goed below the reciever, so the when its done, it should be frame rail, reciever mount, gas tank skid mount in order from top to bottom.
remove tow hook
use jack to lift skid up to gas tank.
line up holes
use provided bolts and bolt into factory nutcerts
torque them to some spec... IIRC should be 63 foot pounds
then go hit stuff

Without factory nutcerts - 2 options:
1 - take off rear bumper and fish bolts thru holes and hope you put the right one in the right spot, then have fun and follow above instructions

2 - go to dealer and spend $20 on nutcerts, take off rear bumper, slip nutcerts in, then follow above instructions...

hope this is helpful

Thanks for the instructions, I have the rear tow package. Was it difficult getting around the exaust? that looks like the hardest part The Skid looks like its very close w/ the tow package... and also i think i may have to drill different holes in the skid because they don't seem to match up.

Back