• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lite Truck tires?

Shifty

NAXJA Forum User
Does anybody run Lite Truck tires on stock suspension. I was told that LT tires will give a really rough ride and I should run P-metric tires. Has anybody put LT tires on and regretted it? I notice LT tires have a deeper tread and thought they may wear better.

Ride quality is very subjective. LT tires have stiffer sidewalls, so they do ride a bit stiffer than P-rated tires. Do they ride "really rough"? Dunno. I'm running BFG AT/KOs in 235/75R15 on a stock '88 with factory heavy duty springs. I know I'm driving a truck and not a Cadillac, but I also have 245,000 miles and 16+ years on all the suspension bushings, so I don't expect it to ride like a new luxery sedan.

I think all Jeeps should run on LT tires.

Heres the best I can offer. My Girlfriend ran LT tires on her 96 Explorer. They had a light hum and a stiff ride. We replaced them with all season passenger tires with a non aggressive tread. Cant remember the brand. Wal-Mart Cheapies. The ride is now smooth as silk. But the Explorer is a heavy beast with a softer suspension as well.
The difference was noticable though. Very noticable on this particular situation.
I run LT's on my 98 XJ. Some tire hum, stiffer ride and I notice the mild bumps in the road a little more. But I love the look and aggressive stance it has.

I've had like 4 sets of tires, stock p225's GY GSA's, p235/75R15 Pirelli scorpion at's, Dunlop LT235's and finally BFG AT/KO in LT235. The P's did ride smoother a bit than the LT's but the LT's wear better. I just upped my AT/KO's to 40PSI and they ride alot smoother though a just a tad bumpier than last week when they were between 25 and 30PSI...

I don't know what counts these days as an LT tire, but it used to be that "LT" was a part of the designation (i.e. 700x15 LT) and meant, along with the stiffness and deep tread, a very high profile - 85 or more. I used to run the old bias ply LT's on my 64 Gladiator and later on my F150. Handling wasn't exactly car-like, but they were very rugged, great in snow, good in the woods, and a pretty cheap way to grow some extra diameter without increasing the footprint (a big plus for snow tires, especially if you plow). They did, however, make quite a racket, especially when the fronts got a little nibbled and cupped, which they were prone to do. Oh, and they look very cool!

i ran some cooper lt's on my 94 and it rode fine, was it kinda stiff, sure, but it had a nice feel to it. btw stock with 235/75

Lots of people run LT tires. Many of the larger sizes are ONLY available in an LT designation. Yes, they are a little stiffer and will, therefore, give a slightly harsher ride. If you've raised your Jeep by more than an inch or two, though, the effects of the lift will FAR outweigh the effects of LT tires.

I originally bought LT 235/75R15 A/T's for my Dodge 150 Ram Charger because it was eating its way through passenger tires in a big hurry. I had them on the Ram Charger for 3 or 4 years and have had them on my stock '93 Cherokee for nearly three years. If your're 100% pavement they are a little tall and a little hard - not just in the ride but in the rubber itself They tend to skid a bit sooner than I would like on dry pavement and they're not real good at moving water out of the tread (though that may be brand and tread design specific).

I ran them at 40 psi on the Ram Charger but brought them down to 36 psi for the Jeep. At 40 psi the Jeep was a little too much like driving a basket ball - too bouncy. The nice thing about the LT's is they last forever and you don't have to slow down when the pavement ends. They are fairly quiet, even at 70+ mph, and they'll take a pot hole with no fear for the sidewall.

On the other hand, if your primary concern is ride quality and pavement performance a good high milage passenger tire would serve better. Just don't expect it to take you off road. Of course, you could pick up some extra rims and mount two sets. Otherwise, the LT's are a good, long lasting comprimise for the stock Cherokee.

XJ Dreamin'
stock 2WD '93 XJ, 4.0L HO, AW4, D35c, LT 235/75R15 A/T's

I'm running a stock setup with 235*75 R 15 Cooper S/T in the LT. I chose the LT for stiffer sidewalls (read in theory less trail damage). I chose the S/T as a middle ground between an AT and a Mud so expect to compromise on ride etc. The reality is that I run them at 40psi and they hum on tarmac at a steady 25mph but that goes away at most speeds including on the highway. They handle very well in the wet and on "bendy" roads as I drive fairly agressively anyway (oops). The ride is fine but need to reduce the pressure on non sealed roads or put up with a bit of bounce. Overall, I don't think the LT is significantly worse and you get deeper tread and stronger tyres (in theory anyway). Off road = air down and very good.

I haven’t seen anybody say it yet, but the reason LT tires have stiffer sidewalls is because they handle more weight. They are designed for light trucks carrying a payload. Not a huge amount, but more than your typical passanger car. If you do any kind of towing or put a lot of junk in the back (like I do) I’d recommend the LT tires.

Shifty:

I'm running a set of Walmart snows(Super Sport) that are not LT's. I do off-road stuff monthly. I haven't had a problem, but I would have went with LT's because of the thicker sidewalls. A few of the guys I wheel with have ruined a tire because of sidewall punctures. Next time I'm going LT's.

Back