• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gear question

Codeman

NAXJA Forum User
I put on my lift and all several months ago, and the milage has been killing me ever since. I am wanting to get gears- 4:10's.
For my rear 8.25 27 spline, I do not need a carrier, but do I need one for the 30? What is a carrier exactly?
thanx
Codeman

yes you do need one for the 30. what size tires are you running?

I'm doing the same thing. I found the best prices at northridge 4x4. I'm doing 4.56 gears though.

$145 for each gear set, D30
$145 for each gear set, Chry 8.25
install kits are $45 each
overhaul kits are $85 each (they include the bearings)
New carrier is $50
All prices include shipping
$510 shipped, not bad, and it's Superior Gears

Hope this helps!

The carrier is the assembly that the ring gear bolts to; it also holds the spider gears and the axles. I can post pics later if needed.

I have a couple of questions. When you did your lift, did you change tire size? There are two things that kill mileage, gearing and wind resistance. Just lifting an XJ 3-6 inches drastically increases the wind resistance. While gears will help a little if you are lucky, all they are doing is shifting your power band. Now if you changed to a larger tire, gearing will most likely help a considerable amount.

So how much lift did you do and what tire size changes have you made?

3.5"
31-32's
Pictures would be great if you have the time. I realize 4:10's may be too much, but I tow also, and I will move up a little in tire size in the future (never plan to go beyond 32-33")

4.10's are definetly not tomuch. i run 4.56's w/31's and it is fine, i plan to go to 33's soon. i know i will be wanting more gear in the city whenever i do go higher. however on the highway 33's will make things nice. if you plan on 33's go ahead and get 4.56's, no need to regear twice.

Codeman said:
3.5"
31-32's
Pictures would be great if you have the time. I realize 4:10's may be too much, but I tow also, and I will move up a little in tire size in the future (never plan to go beyond 32-33")
I am running 33" w/ 4.88's and am glad I didn't go with 4.56's. I wish I had a D44 front when i did the gears so I could have done 5.13's so when I have 35's I would be all good.

if your gonna run anythin bigger than 31's i would definetly go with 4.56's. dont want to do 4.10's get 33's and be wanting more and have to do it again.

Codeman said:
so you are saying go with 4:56's and not 4:10's? Will 4:10's not be enough? I am 3:55/54 (stock) right now.
if you are planning on 32/33's definately go with 4.56's. If you might be going to 33/35"s definately go with 4.88's

Back