• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New 6-speed transmission

PapaPump

NAXJA Forum User
You guys hear that new Jeeps will be using a NSG 370 six speed transmission? it has a lower first gear and triple cone synchros on 1st and 2nd. I don't know if this transmission is any stronger than the ax-15 or nvg 3550, but it is the same model number as the transmission as the Crossfire. That car has just 229 ft-lbs of torque, not much more than the 4.0. The transmission itself, in a Mercedes ML270CDI, is rated for a max torque input of 272 ft-lb. I am guessing that it is mounted with a bellhousing, rather than modifying the 4.0 to fit it, since that motor is on its way out. Hopefully that means it is adaptable. Of course if the NVG3550 is stronger, than scratch the whole idea. Does anybody know about this, or if there is a compatible NVG that is stronger? Perhaps from a Dodge truck.

I would guess that you could get an NV4500 (with the Chevy 6:1 first), the bellhousing, and any adapters needed to the t-case, and any other adapters/accessories ... all for less than buying one of those brand new 6 speeds from you local Jeep dealer.

Ivan said:
Read THIS LINK , recently on PBB and draw your own conclusions about the NV 4500.

Ivan
This isn't that big of a deal...They are talking about them blowing up but mostly they don't...Fifth gear just quits working. IF you are swaping one in just fix the problem first...since it would be out of the vehicle anyway.

DrMoab said:
This isn't that big of a deal...They are talking about them blowing up but mostly they don't...Fifth gear just quits working. IF you are swaping one in just fix the problem first...since it would be out of the vehicle anyway.

True... but it's something folks should be aware of in the first place...

Paul S said:
Some of us are too lazy to drive an auto off road :laugh3:

Paul

Ya really, driving Poomba's rig out of Fordyce was a chore and a half! I'm lazy, I'd rather only use one foot while driving. ;)

Isn't first still only ~4:1?

If so then I don't see the point of 6 speeds. Hell, I could make do nicely with a granny tranny five or four speed - if I still drove a stick.

r@m

the first is about that, still lower than the ax-15 and nv3550. the point was not about getting a new one from the dealer though, it was to be on the lookout at junkyards in the next few years. really though, it shouldn't be that expensive directly from the transmission manufacturer, but it probably is. not REALLY beefy though, it wouldnt be hard to have a jeep have more than the 280 or so rated torque input.

Back