• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Knuckles?

Root Moose

NAXJA Forum User
I'm finally getting around to building the HP30 for the front of my 2001.

I have a bunch of axles to work with. The stocker LP 2001 (of course), a unknown vintage TJ LP D30 and an unknown vintage HP D30. I'm guessing the HP is early 1990s since it is non-disco. Maybe earlier NV242 equipped machine?

Are all the knuckles on these axles more or less the same? I noticed that the HP axle has a removable disk caliper "cradle" compared to the TJ axle. I'm not sure what the 2001 has as I haven't pulled the wheel off yet (it's my DD).

Would the TJ knuckle be the same as the 2001 knuckle? If it was then I could truly get the axle ready on the bench to swap under in an hour or two since I wouldn't need to re-use the knuckles. Is the two peice knuckle worth using? Probably won't work with my 2001's brakes, right?

r@m

You should use the XJ HP D30 housing with the TJ knuckle and the '01 XJ LP D30 shaft & bearing assemblies. This will retain use of the existing brakes on your '01 XJ, but allow you to have the newer style knuckles installed in advance.

Last edited:
Not sure if it's of any use to you, but when we swapped a HP under my 2000 XJ, we used the knuckles and the D30 shaft and bearing assemblies from my LP. The HP was from a 96.

Thanks guys!

I also have a Warn 5 on 5.5" kit to install. That doesn't make any difference, right?

r@m

Back