• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Tube?

karter74

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I have rebuilt my 4.0 and have put it back in the car but have not fired it up yet. Anyway, I was double checking everything and I found this tube on the left side of the bellhousing (if you look at the engine from the grill, its on the left) and I put tape over it so obviously nothing would go into it. My problem now is I have NO IDEA what the heck it goes to! Its a solid metal tube that has a rubber connection when it gets near the transmission, so I can wiggle it, but the end that is taped is metal. Its not a cooling line because those are already hooked up, so I have no idea what it could be, perhaps a breather? Please help!

Sounds like the tranny check/fill tube. Should be dipstick in it.

Also it would help to know year, tranny, etc.

Sarge

Last edited:
No, its not the tube with the dipstick, because thats already there also...this is really puzzling me on where the heck this thing goes/what its used for, anyone have any pics of the engine from where i am talking about?

Got pics? What's the diameter? It's not one of two hardlines coming off the transmission and heading forward along the oilpan is it? Those two and the tranny dipstick tube are the only ones I can think of in that area right now.

What area does the line come from and go to, and where does it run while it does that?

Back