• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"power" switch?

87xjpioneer757

NAXJA Forum User
What the heck is this Power/Comfort switch on my dash? It doesn't seem to do anything when I hit it. I have an 87 XJ Pioneer 4x4 Auto. The existance of the switch isn't bothering me, it's not knowing what it does that is.

My 89 XJ had that too. It changes the shifting of transmission. My 89 felt like the shifting was really mushy in Comfort. Mine stayed in Power. I believe all the newer AW4s with out the switch are defaulted in Power.

we have two xj's with the "power/comfort" switch, one '89 and one '91. From my experience with the '91 the power setting seems to raise WOT upshifts by about 500rpm and produces more abrupt downshifts. While I used it fairly often on the '91 with the HO engine because they like to rev more than the older engines, the '89 always stays in comfort since thier doesn't really seem to be much benefit to reving that engine any higher. I do use it occasionally in hilly areas for the quicker downshifts though.
Tony

The softer, mushier shifts in the "Comfort" position are actually harder on the tranny because of extra slippage. It is correct that the new models default to "Power" as the hard-wired setting. Unless there's a problem with your tranny, it's better to leave it in the "Power" position all the time.

i have this switch and doesnt seem to do anything either.....this is good info if it does infact default to power......i was going to take it out and put someting else there.....guessi better leave it alone....

When I bought my jeep I was wondering about that switch too. Didn't seem to do anything. First time I opened up the dash, lo and behold it wasn't hooked up to anything! nice. Now it's a clean looking accessory switch.

The only difference mine seems to make is the point at which the torque converter locks. It stays unlocked longer when in power and locks up rather quickly in comfort. Dunno if it's supposed to do that or not.

Back