• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring for Trailer 7-way plug

karstic

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I did a search and didn't find what I was looking for. So here it goes...

I am installing a 7-way wiring harness for trailering a folding tent trailer and I need to know where I can find a power source for feeding into the 12v system on the trailer. Any suggestions?

The factory connector is a 7-way, with an adapter to drop it to 4-way for small trailers. Check out a FSM.

If you're doing the 7 way plug... you have to wire in a brake controller...... and that ussually means that you have to run at least one additona cable to the back from the brake controller (Extra part).....

Kejtar

Not necessarily, Kejtar.... my 94 has a blue wire labelled "trailer brake" without a controller in it (and it didn't come with a trailer package.)

Having said that, I ran my own 12V positive, ground and brake line as I thought the stock wiring looked pretty darned skimpy.

maybe that was the wire that I ran..... or I might have replaced both (don't remember too well) because the trailer brakes wire now that I think about it was pretty thing :(

Kejtar

ChiXJeff said:
Having said that, I ran my own 12V positive, ground and brake line as I thought the stock wiring looked pretty darned skimpy.

Jeff Where did you run the 12v positive from? I assume you can ground out to the body. I will be adding a brake controller later.

Eagle I am starting from scatch. No trailer wiring at all. My local UHaul dealer put on the hitch and a flat four pin connector. I have the adaptor that goes from a 4-pin to 7-pin. What I need to know is where to draw the 12v hot wire from?

12 volts all the way to the battery, along with a lead back to the battery negative post. Add the brake wire, and that's the 3 extra leads past the flat 4 wire connector.

I cheated. Bought a 7 wire connector, and put a pair of 4 wire connectors behind it, one for the usual 4 wire connector (like you're getting from UHell) and one with the extra 3 wires. Very easy to pull from the bumper when I'm not using it.

I'm completely redoing the 3 extras right now, with a piece of 12/3 SO extension cord that has been clipped to the passenger side uniframe rail. Yeah, that's a little overkill.

Back