• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yet another overheating problem

xjfish

NAXJA Forum User
87 closed system

Used to run at normal operating temps most of the time. Just started acting up on me in the last coulple months and seems to be getting worse. I am unsure of the age of many cooling conponents but I know some have been replaced. I can't find coolant leaking from anywhere.
-Sometimes it cools pretty normal and runs about 210ish. Sometimes it goes pretty high then cools down. For example the temp guage read 230ish today and cooled down to like 180 as I was doing 70 on the highway. Ealier today I made a quick trip and within like 5 min she was up to about 245*! Stayed there until i got home. I need to change the coolant and flush the sytem along with "burping" it but I don't see why it would run cool sometimes...

Whats this sound like?
Air leak? Trapped air? Stuck thermostat? If so do I have to buy a dealer one with a bleeder valve or are there other brands that work?

Hold up. Checked my coolant like I should have done before I made this post and found it low (overflow bottle empty). Almost positive air is in the system also now but added what coolant/distilled water I had to get me by. Coolant is dirty looking. I'll update after i check into this more. Thanks.

other info: coolant bottle holds good pressure, cap is ok 87 4.0 with 168k no obvious leaks

xjfish said:
87 closed system

-Sometimes it cools pretty normal and runs about 210ish. Sometimes it goes pretty high then cools down. For example the temp guage read 230ish today and cooled down to like 180 as I was doing 70 on the highway. Ealier today I made a quick trip and within like 5 min she was up to about 245*! Stayed there until i got home. I need to change the coolant and flush the sytem along with "burping" it but I don't see why it would run cool sometimes...

Going 70, you have enough air forced thru the rad to help cool it. If you're crawling thru town, and it heats up to 245 (flirting with a warped head, there) I'd say it's likelier to be a problem with the fan clutch, all things being equal. If the fan shroud is still on there, and nothing else has changed (bottle cap still retaining pressure), I'd check that. I added a second (GOOD) fan, and cured my problem, but there's a host of things it could be. Must be a hundred threads on overheating. Can always PM Eagle, he's kinda sharp on things like that.
Ahh, nod, saw the edited version. Sure thing, do a flush, and distilled water/coolant, and recheck it. Myself, if the coolant was that bad and allowed it to overheat that much, I'd replace or at least check the thermostat, in case it was damaged.

Last edited:
Back