• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 evaporator install questions

tnxj

NAXJA Forum User
Well, about two months ago my 98 cherokee developed a slow freon leak (about 3wks or so to leak down). Tried stop leak recharge stuff from Napa with no luck, it still leaks. I've done a fair amount of searching on the issue on here and have decided on two things- 1. It is probably my evaporator (put leak finder in and can't find any leaks under the hood) and 2. I can't afford to pay the dealership $1K to fix it, so it looks like I'm going to try and replace it myself. Does anybody know any tricks or shortcuts (In my search I've seen very different time estimates... from 2hrs to 10hrs)? I've got a Haynes manual but if someone who has done this a few times could post up some good step-by-step instructions I sure would appreciate it. Any advice welcomed. Thanks again.

Unless you are REALLY good the FSM your best guide. As for find it shine your light down by the drain on the passenger side firewall to the left of the oil filter, thats where mine glows yellow/green....

Back