• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D35 vs. C8.25

bustednutz

NAXJA Forum User
I'm a little new to all the axle talk on here. I am just wondering what the big difference is between the C8.25 rear end and the D35?
IS the C8.25 built of poor quality? Are their common problems with this axle over the D35?
My 98 XJ Sport has the C8.25. Non ABS. Just wondering what to look out for.
Thanks folks.

The 8.25 will be stronger then the 35 especially since you got the 29 spline version. The downside to it though is that it is still a C-clip unit and you can only go to 4.56 gears in it.
Btw, if you run a search you will find plenty of threads discussing their differences.

Yup, Kejtar hit it - I think you had the interpretation backwards. The D35 is the bottom of the barrel as far as the four XJ axles go. The 27-spline C8.25" is next, and I'd put the D44 and 29-spline C8.25" are pretty much tied for the best stock axle under the XJ. If anything, the Ford 8.8" comes in there with strength compared to the top XJ axles, and may even beat them a bit because of the stock 4.10 gear and disk brake offerings available.

Back