• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

newbie q's

Tucker

NAXJA Forum User
Not new to wheelin' but I did just get a '92 XJ Sport -- extremely clean and I am itchin' to get it all dirty, but there are some things I don't know yet...

Suspension lift kit info for some kits mention Dana vs. Chrysler rear end ... what does this mean and how do I tell what I have?

How does lift affect x-axis (side-to-side) stability? I would like to put one of the R.E. 5.5" kits in this so I can run 33x12.5 tires but I worry a bit about stability. Any comments?

At the risk of sounding maudlin, thanks for bein' here. My membership paperwork is in the mill and I look forward to meeting some of you in the north 40 sometime.

The Dana VS Chrysler refers to the various rearends jeep put under the xj. The Dana is the Dana 35 or if your real lucky a Dana 44. The Chrysler is the 8.25 version 29 The chrysler has a flat edge along the bottom of the differential that sticks out slightly past the cover. The D35 is rounded off on the bottom.

Stability
Whenever you lift a vehicle you will lose some stability.
That said I currently am at 3" with 30x9.50 and removed the rear sway bar I have noticed very little change (not much lift) but am still cautious. I'll be putting the 5.5 RE kit on my XJ as soon as Brown gets it to me :rolleyes: I will be mounting 33x12.50 on the jeep as well. Keep in mind that with 12.50 your stance will be atleast 6" wider more depending on your choice of backspacing which will help with stability. Look through the board there is tons of great info on here it has helped me a lot
Good luck
Brian:patriot:

You can increase stability by nitpicking your suspension parts in addition to increasing your width with fatter tires/more backspacing. Some swear that poly bushings in the control arms and swaybar links help out a lot.
I ran some havier wound coils and relatively stiff leaf packs along with some adjustble rancho shocks on a heavy setting. The jeep cornered like it was on rails but cruising comfort was sacrificed.
You may also want to look into edelbrock IAS schocks which have a special vave that controls oil flow based on whether or not youre traveling over smooth roads (closed valve, increased damping/stability) or rougher surfaces (open valve, more impact absorbtion)

Back