• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What do it take to fit: 33s..?

NXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, how much lift and/or trimming do it take to fit 33x12.5x15. On a '86 2 Door ? I want to keep the stock Flares.

(Hazardius Newbie Q)

Thanks.

with some trimming on the front (just unbolt the back half of the flare, and cut a new line about an 1 1/2 back, then drill holes to remount the flare) i was running 33s on about 5 inches.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lankchevy

if u look at the creekbed trail or disney albums then those were before i cut my fenders and ditched the flares. those might be after when i cut the front of the fender and removed the air dam thingy, but i did run it with just the back of the front fenders trimmed for a while, and unless u get bumpstops u will rub off road.

kolby

oh ya might wanna search we have about one of these posts a week.

i'm lifted 5" and i had to cut the front as high as the upper line where the stock flare mounted... i have stock upper bump stops and 2" lower bump stops.. i now rub my tires on the upper "shock tower".. a longer upper bump stop and you might get away with less trimming.. i get almost no rubbing out of the rear but plan to cut it a little bit in the future..

NXJ said:
So 5'' will be the least possible lift ?
I have between 4-5" of lift, am trimmed to the washer bottle, and run 33-13.50s on 8" rims with 3.75" BS. I get a little bit of rubbing on the shock tower.

kid4lyf said:
I have between 4-5" of lift, am trimmed to the washer bottle, and run 33-13.50s on 8" rims with 3.75" BS. I get a little bit of rubbing on the shock tower.

Thank's. No Flares ?

on an 86, take a very good look at your front driveshaft, if the transfer case end looks like a stick going into a beercan, you gotta convert that to a double cardan CV before you even think about lifting.

it's an 86 2-door? why are you so dead set on keeping the stock flares? all they will do is get in the way.

CheapXJ said:
on an 86, take a very good look at your front driveshaft, if the transfer case end looks like a stick going into a beercan, you gotta convert that to a double cardan CV before you even think about lifting.

it's an 86 2-door? why are you so dead set on keeping the stock flares? all they will do is get in the way.

Ya, I know i got the slip yoke trash. ..If that was what you was thinking ?

I'm keeping the Flares beacuse its a DD, and in Norway we got some stupidassrules that says its unlegal having tires sticking outside the Flares. And with the offset I got know I must keep em'. ..And Flares is the last I wanna spend money on.

Keep the comments coming. Thanks..

NXJ said:
So 5'' will be the least possible lift ?
no way! think outside the box a little and you can run 33s on NO lift. A guy I work with has 35s on a 2" budget boost, and it's a 4 door (harder to trim rear). It works surprisingly well, it's all about cutting sheet-metal and using the right bumpstops.

BrettM said:
no way! think outside the box a little and you can run 33s on NO lift. A guy I work with has 35s on a 2" budget boost, and it's a 4 door (harder to trim rear). It works surprisingly well, it's all about cutting sheet-metal and using the right bumpstops.

I wanna see pics of that.......

BrettM said:

was under the impression he was looking for the right combination.. and didnt want to hack his rig and build new tubs..... CHEAPXJ stuffed 36s under a budjet-boosted rig last year.. sure it worked but he had to fab all new wheel wells.. a good combination would be a 4.5 to 5" lift with some moderate trimming...

MC-92 said:
I wanna see pics of that.......
that's what I said when he told me!

the other night we went to his house after work and I saw it, sure enough 35" SSRs on 2 inch lift. We went rompin around in the woods on his parent's property too, and it actually worked VERY well. It's no rock-crawling machine though...

sidriptide said:
was under the impression he was looking for the right combination.. and didnt want to hack his rig and build new tubs..... CHEAPXJ stuffed 36s under a budjet-boosted rig last year.. sure it worked but he had to fab all new wheel wells.. a good combination would be a 4.5 to 5" lift with some moderate trimming...

Thats right !! The right combo, cause it's a rig that must conform to Norwegian (bullshit) rules and regulations. If it wasn't for that, I would have swapped in some Volvo C303 Portals... Atleast a pair of 44s.

Thanks for the answers guys.

BTW: If someone got a pic of a 2Dr. w/ 33s and 4-5'' lift, please post up.

Back