• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor Internals and RUST!

MrShoeBoy

NAXJA Forum User
How do you keep an engine thats in pieces from rusting?

I have a motor thats in pieces from a machine shop that I wont be able to use for a while but I dont want it to rust. What can I do to the crank and block to prevent surface rust? The machine shop wasnt really helpful other than saying that WD-40 wasnt heavy enough and motor oil eventually wicks off.

Any help?

Thanks,

AARON

In your climate.. that is ganna be tough. I know guys that have just filled up 5 gallon buckets with there parts and filled with motor oil. Other guys just let it rust then have it hot tanked. I myself would keep it oil.

Matt

when i was working on my outboard motor i was at the shop and they had this stuff in a spray can that was an anti corosive spray it is like a sticky oil it stayed pretty good on some parts. but i think the stuff would work great on a part that wasn't moving and had no chance of scraping the stuff off other than that get the heaviest gear oil you can and spray it on everything.

I live in the same climate OP does.

When I replace the motor in my Blazer I covered the short block in WD30 and trash bags, out on my porch, in the rain in the monsoon season, and didn't have ANY rust problems at all.

Mush worry about nothing. WD40-bomb it, put a trash bag over it, and put a tie on the neck of the bag. Done!

I was going to say same as CW - I kept them coated in WD-40 and garbage sacks, but that was in relatively dry coastal SouthCal. Motor oil may 'eventually' wick off, but if you reapply periodically that might do the trick for you

paint the engine block outside (some cool hot pink color would be fun)

and fill the engine with disel - thats what we used to do at a shop that i worked at. We did that with an FJ-40 motor when we shipped the frame and body to be powder coated...

If I plan on using it this month I use WD-40 works pretty good actually, leaves a coating, wax or something. Sometime this year, I usually brush on synthetic oil. Sometime this decade, motorcycle chain oil spray, has worked well for me, some kind of Blue Moly stuff that sticks like glue and moisture doesn´t seem to touch. A spray can of Lithium grease, seems to hold up well also, for the long term.

Thanks guys.

This motor had a bad set of bearings(due to a shitty machine shop) but I caught it before there was any major damage to the crank or the block but this was after I picked up a new block and started building my 4.6L stroker. I am keeping the old 4.0L and hopefully can sell it as a short block or something so I want to keep it nice and fresh since its been checked, honed, and cleaned. This should go in the for sale forum but I got a 89 XJ 4.0L block thats been bored .030" over with a crank, cam, and pistons ready to go with less than 15k on it. Just needs new rod and main bearings.

AARON

Back