• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Idle Problem

MN-Cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I'am having some trouble with my stock daily driver XJ. It is a '97 4.0 with the AW4. It has 150,002 miles exactly, never driven offroad, maintainance has been done religiously. Every 3k or when recommened.

Just recently the truck seems to idle a little rough. The needle in the tack bounces around slightly, but it is really noticeable in the truck. It is vibrating pretty good. More so than either of my other Jeeps. It does this in both park and in-gear. But only at idle.

I know for a fact the NSS is going bad, I will be doing that this weekend. Could that affect the idle? I dont think so, but maybe.

Would a good tuneup maybe solve this? It runs on all Mopar performance stuff: Cap, Rotor, 7.5 wires, Champion plugs. It is about 500 miles short of its next tuneup.

Also, the oil pressure gauge seems to jerk around a little bit. I get 40 psi at idle and upwards depending on throttle. But it seems to bounce a little bit at idle. Could the sending unit be going bad?

Thanks alot for any help!

Brian

I would first check for any vacuum leaks.

As far as the oil gauge. I had a similar problem and it wound up being a broken electrical contact on the sending unit. The unit on my 87 is near the oil filter and that contact is easily bent or damaged if you're not careful in that area of the engine.

Back